Sabbath had to follow this....

What's Hot
andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Wouldn't have been a problem for them on 1970 form. Sadly it was 1978.
  • I loved that, thanks for sharing..

It does make me sorry for Roth a little.. he was permanently in the shadow EVH.. not the greatest singer.. having to compensate with a complete showmanship approach to hold his own it seems.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    It shows that Ed had it all from the beginning, the live show could have been the first album.
    I like the way you get to see what the 'bomb' does at the end of Eruption, and find it amazing that he kept Frankenstein in tune up to that point.
    Look up the 'zero' demo to get more of the same, some of the songs on the demo weren't recorded until 2012.
    Maybe they were one trick ponies, but what a set of tricks.

• It does make me sorry for Roth a little.. he was permanently in the shadow EVH.. not the greatest singer.. having to compensate with a complete showmanship approach to hold his own it seems.
    Weirdly, the tensions that led to the split in 1984 were supposedly because EVH felt he was being overshadowed by Roth. As Dave wrote in his autobiography, "Do you know ANYONE who thinks of Eddie V. as a backup guitarist?"

andy_k said:
    It shows that Ed had it all from the beginning, the live show could have been the first album. 
    Absolutely. Somewhere I have a soundboard bootleg from 1977. It came on once in the car when I had my iPod on shuffle. I first realised I wasn't hearing the debut album when it got to the solo in Runnin' with the Devil and there was no rhythm guitar track.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It does make me sorry for Roth a little..
    No-one needs to feel sorry for DLR, he wasn't the greatest singer but he was good enough, but he was an AMAZING frontman for a band, absolutely in the top few ever. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Oh for sure DLR would be in the top 3 front men of all time. Seen him 3 times and he just commands the audience. I've been watching a lot of old VH videos since Eddie died and then some other live stuff from other bands and have to say a band just standing on stage playing the songs live seems a tad boring once you have got used to high energy and crowd interaction of VH, even when they were coked up to their eyeballs. 

Great gig  from 77

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • All the fret wankery isn't really my cuppa give me some sludgy riffage any time. 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 806
    Totally amazing front man - absolutely held his own next to EVH, and a genuinely great voice too.

But when the mojo has gone.......

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    All the fret wankery isn't really my cuppa give me some sludgy riffage any time. 
    I don't think that many would consider EVH as fret-wankery. He wrote songs and played concise and brilliant solos. 

(OK, his solo spot live was usually fret wankery, but that wasn't really what he was about)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yocky said:
    Totally amazing front man - absolutely held his own next to EVH, and a genuinely great voice too.

But when the mojo has gone.......

I thought that was great...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2020
    axisus said:
    All the fret wankery isn't really my cuppa give me some sludgy riffage any time. 
    I don't think that many would consider EVH as fret-wankery. He wrote songs and played concise and brilliant solos. 

(OK, his solo spot live was usually fret wankery, but that wasn't really what he was about)

I would   

Certainly compared to sabbath.

Edit; talking about the vid in the op. Total racket Imo. Would prefer a decent tune.
    Saying that one of my favourite guitar moments is mick ronson spacing out on the spiders vid.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 806
    I thought that was great...
    I enjoyed the bits that weren't DLR
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The trouble with Dave is he can't hear himself. The onstage volume at a VH gig is horrific, they basically played with an FOH PA pointing inwards to the stage. I was watching this interview with a guy who's band did a couple of months opening for them and he said the sheer onstage volume was like nothing he had experienced before in any other touring situation. 

So I think Dave tries to sing in his natural register, can't hear so sings higher and then it just sounds awful. What is nice with Wolfie in the band though is EVH sings his parts now like he used to in the seventies. For about 20 years he basically just let MA do the one BV and it never sounded right. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    This is what led me to that-----^

Seems he had 2 amps, assume one was a backup, probably 4 of the cabs were just for show, but you get to see the 'bomb', also with 2 echo units, it's the best look at his early rig, and is the one in the video, besides the replica 78 guitar.
    some good sounds too.