SoundCloud Copyright

Does anyone have any experience of infringing copyright on SoundCloud? When I have used it I assumed that no-one would be interested in 'home' music played, recorded and produced by me with no promotion, sale or expectation of profit even though most of the music is not mine.

I'm not really interested in people's copyright advice. That's all on SoundCloud anyway in general and quite detailed terms. I'm more interested in whether or not anyone has experienced any kick back when using the platform for the sort of innocent 'domestic' use I describe above. i.e for no more than family and friends and personal pleasure. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    If you post anything related to Warner brothers artists, it will be blocked.
    The stinger for me, is the fact you cannot then remove it and it fills up your allocated space.
    Happened to me twice with Midi remixes of VH and Clash tunes.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    Thanks Andy. So just blocking? No comeback?
    I have my page on there set to public, but on both occasions, within minutes the tracks were flagged, and I received an e-mail saying it was copyright breach.
    I was more bummed that I could not delete the tracks, so there they still sit- unable to be played, doing nothing.
    I did them some time apart, both based on midi files, Humans being by VH, with my own drums, and This Is England, by the Clash, both Warners artists, I got away with it with a different track based on VH Intruder, which used actual audio, and I was amazed when a Taylor Swift track got through.
    If it gets blocked, there is no option to remove the file, and I would guess they have a 3 strike rule, maybe.

• andy_k said:

The stinger for me, is the fact you cannot then remove it and it fills up your allocated space.

I think you'll find that, although it stays up on your tracks (but greyed out and undeletable) it DOESN'T use up any of your allocated space.

I've only had one copyright strike and it was for a track stitched together from many different renditions of an old wartime tune, 'Auf Wiedersehen Sweetheart' that I did as part of a composition challenge on here (no idea if it's still up on theFB's SoundCloud page but it got pulled from my own). I don't know if there are sanctions for multiple infractions.

The surprising thing is that of all the sampled sections I'd used, including the most well-known Vera Lynn version and such luminaries as Mantovani and Demis Roussos, the part which triggered the copyright pull-down was the Max Bygraves version. Don't mess with Max!

The identical track is still up on my BandCamp page without any issues at all.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I use Soundcloud to host demos of my guitar and bass playing for my website. They are just solos and intros, and I’ve not yet had a copyright strike, in fact I didn’t know it was a thing!

Do I need to check how much Warner-related content I have up there?
    I have noted an inconsistency, so Warners is just an example, I had similar problems with a VH tune I posted on to YT, just for the link to use in a UNI presentation. The algorithm force is strong for Warners, but some people seem to get around it.
    MIDI is a very grey area for copyright it seems.

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I got a copyright claim for my own music... It was on streaming services and I had to go through their processes to prove I owned the copyright. I think some labels are more aggressive than others. IMO if you aren't selling it or earning ad revenue from it then no one should give a fuck if you are putting it on a platform for people to hear.
  • Yes, I've had a copyright claim for my own music as well. On Soundcloud AND Youtube - and guess what? I LOST THE CLAIMS! hahahahaahah!! The videos are still bloody "demonetized" !

Bye!

Yes, I've had a copyright claim for my own music as well. On Soundcloud AND Youtube - and guess what? I LOST THE CLAIMS! hahahahaahah!! The videos are still bloody "demonetized" !
    That's a rough day...
  • IMC1980 said:
    Yes, I've had a copyright claim for my own music as well. On Soundcloud AND Youtube - and guess what? I LOST THE CLAIMS! hahahahaahah!! The videos are still bloody "demonetized" !
    That's a rough day...
    Well CDBaby are collecting them on my behalf, so not so bad. Bit weird collecting revenue from myself to deliver to myself, and they take their cut of course .... mmmmmmmhhh???

Bye!

I released an album for Halloween 2019, with CDBaby PRO, paid the extra to have them register it.
    Realised this October that it still hasn't even been registered with PRS, e-mailed to ask why?
    Obviously, Covid19 was the excuse.
    Something fishy going on with CD baby, and they are meant to be the MOST reliable.

IMC1980 said:
    That's a rough day...
    Well CDBaby are collecting them on my behalf, so not so bad. Bit weird collecting revenue from myself to deliver to myself, and they take their cut of course .... mmmmmmmhhh???
    Hopefully you've earned more than my career total of $4 so far!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    Thanks everyone. Interesting. I have had no problems as yet. Possibly because I don't get many hits. I have one reasonably modern track by The Jam. Fingers crossed I stay under the radar!