Tone King Imperial MKII with a PRS McCarty 594 semi-hollow

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13980
I've never really looked in to Tone King amps in any detail but this has got my interest, I didn't realise the Imperial could do such nice driven tones, I kind of assumed it was a Blackface cleans type amp but this fella gets a lovely thick light/medium tone with his PRS through what I'm guessing is the lead channel. Sounds really nice. Nice looking guitar was well.

Any owners know how loud would he be running it to get this kind of tone?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    You can get that at low volumes by using the attenuator. The lead channel is described as a tweed sounding channel in the manual and I would agree. Its just lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here he is earlier in the year playing same guitar through a PRS Sonzera 20 plus some pedals, doesn't quite sound as good as the Tone King to me.

Hmmmm....how much are them Tone Kings?

• chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    edited November 2020
    I have a Mk2 and it has cured me of amp GAS for 5 years.  The amp is a bit blackface but IMHO more sophisticated sounding.  The drive / lead channel is really excellent; not really tweed (well at least not small champ type) in my view but more JTM45.  And yes the attenuator works really well so that could be any setting except the most attenuated (which is less than speaking volume and really compressed).
  • Here he is earlier in the year playing same guitar through a PRS Sonzera 20 plus some pedals, doesn't quite sound as good as the Tone King to me.

Hmmmm....how much are them Tone Kings?

I’m more impressed by his Neil young and runaways lp’s in the background !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I don't get it, sounds all right but nothing special.
  • Sassafras said:
    I don't get it, sounds all right but nothing special.
    That’s what I thought when I had mine tbh. The attenuater wins the day though if that’s what you want :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • An imperial has been my dream amp for years and I’ve never played one! I might start putting some $$$ away for one. It might let me ditch an od pedal as well which would be good!