Using effects loop on Trace Elliot GP7 SM head

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
Not sure if anyone can offer any advice here but I would like to try and run an Alesis SR-16 drum machine through the above head and not sure if this can be done.  The head has an effects send and return and I wondered whether there was any way to use this to run the SR-16 through the head whilst I was using a bass in the only input on the head?  I should say that I have never used an effects loop either on a guitar amp or a bass head so really don't understand the concept. 

I also have a Boss RC-3 loop station which I would also like to use with the amp if that was at all possible.....possibly through the effects loop too?  I guess the best option  would  be to just put the RC-3 in front of the head?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    You can't use the FX loop as an input at the same time as the amp's preamp, without an external mixer - the FX return jack disconnects the preamp. If you wanted to do this you would need to connect the FX send to one channel of the mixer, the drum machine to another, and the mixer output to the FX return. A Boss LS-2 will work for this if you don't have/want a full desk-type mixer.

The same applies to the RC-3, if you want to use that for loops that aren't made by the bass itself, in which case you would need at least three channels on the mixer. If the RC-3 is for bass loops, you can put it in front of the amp.

This amp will certainly handle a drum machine, and any decent bass speaker will at lower volume, so it's not a crazy idea. In fact, I used to use a Trace GP11 AH250 head as a PA power amp through a pair of 1x12" PA cabs, for small gigs - it sounded huge, and having the graphic EQ onboard made it unnecessary to use a dedicated one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    edited November 2020
    Thanks once again for excellent advice @ICBM. ;; I also really appreciate you explaining about the FX loop....really helpful.  By the sound of it I don't think it is worth the hassle trying to use the SR-16.

Given that the RC-3 will work in front of the amp I will just use that and I can just use the very limited and basic drum machine in the RC-3.  I use the SR-16 more or less as a metronome when using the bass so the rhythm section on the RC-3 will be fine.  The only benefit of the SR-16 over the rhythm on the RC-3 is that the SR-16 steps up/down in BPM and the RC-3 has the dreaded tap tempo which I still can't use!!!!  In theory tap tempo is a great idea but in practice.................!  :)

Cheers

Guy

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited November 2020
    Does the RC-3 have an 'Auxilliary input'? I don't know the RC-3 but my Digitech SoloXT looper does.

If so, you can use the Aux in to input the drum machine into the looper. In this case, the ideal set up would be to have the bass guitar into the front end of the amp, fx send from the amp into the main looper input, drum machine into the Aux in looper input, looper output into the amp fx return.

You will probably need to control the level of the drum machine from its own volume control (aux in will usually not have a dedicated volume control.)

[edit]

Looking at pics of the RC-3 it would appear it does have a minijack Aux In next to the power input.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Does the RC-3 have an 'Auxilliary input'? I don't know the RC-3 but my Digitech SoloXT looper does.

If so, you can use the Aux in to input the drum machine into the looper. In this case, the ideal set up would be to have the bass guitar into the front end of the amp, fx send from the amp into the main looper input, drum machine into the Aux in looper input, looper output into the amp fx return.

You will probably need to control the level of the drum machine from its own volume control (aux in will usually not have a dedicated volume control.
    Good call :). That should work.

Yes, the RC-3 does have an Aux In, I'd forgotten that. A bit stupid since I own one ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Wow, that sounds amazing @steamabacus ;and really dead simple.  As you say, the RC-3 does have an Aux in and what you have suggested sounds as if it will work perfectly and make full use of the FX loop on the amp.

Thank you both for your input here, could never have come up with this on my own!!!  :)