SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Django Unplayed! Djangone! JWC 'Modele Jazz' gypsy jazz guitar for sale

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited December 2020 in Acoustics £
I love gypsy jazz, I really do. I'd love to be able to play it, but I can't. The scale length, the action - oh yes, and the lack of ability - conspire to tell me that it's not for me.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I have developed some similarities to Django in my playing. Apparently I sound as if I've lost the use of a couple of fingers, so that's my tribute to him sorted.

I wanted to give it my best shot, and I'd tried a couple of Gitane brand guitars previously, so I blamed them for my crapness. I've really admired JWC for a while, and knew an endorsee of theirs who is a truly wonderful player, about half my age, supremely talented and who I therefore hate with a passion that I previously thought was impossible to attain.

When this one came up, I was quite excited, and when I found out that it had been made as a special order for the owner, who is an ace guitar tech in his own right and was a tech for a 'name' gypsy jazz player (as well as other famous names)  I was so excited that I wet myself, although that's happening more and more these days without prompting.

I now have a 'petit bouche', although the weather's partly to blame for that and, besides, you can get a cream for it. It's a real beauty, and they pulled the stops out with this one, at a 'standard' price. It has a gorgeous quilted maple back and sides, and a colour aged spruce top.  It really is a work of art and it plays beautifully - it's less than two years old and is immaculate. It comes with a fitted case, a set of Argentine 10's, and a copy of the previous owner's (Trevor Jones) book, Basic Guitar Set Up. I haven't read it, I just take my guitars to him, which is much easier.

What else can I say? The price - yes, of course. Well, it was £1645 new, so I'd like £950. I might also be open to suggestions of a quality acoustic.

I've also had Trevor set it up to more my tastes, and it's about a 2.9mm action, although it was 4mm. Factory settings are normally 3.1, which means that the action at the first fret is higher than I have mine at the 12th fret, as anyone who's ever bought a guitar from me will testify.

I really wanted to keep this and be competent at gypsy jazz, but two months in and I can play the first four bars of The Godfather theme. My wife is muttering about 'having me whacked'. In fairness, she's been muttering that for some years now.

If it touches your gypsy soul, PM me and we can chat. As usual, I don't do PayPal or posting but I'll meet up, visit - laybys, public conveniences, deserted woodlands, you know the sort of thing. Well, you might not, but there's a whole new world out there.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Now that Is pretty! I’ve got one of their Favinos which really captures the gypsy jazz sound as I’m sure this does. Bargain price as well for a handmade guitar. GLWTS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    Lovely 
  • I'd be all over it if you did post stuff, @DB1, if only to exchange a few PMs with you and get a bit of your dry humour directed at me ;) This is a long-scale, as in 670 mm, right?
    By the way - how did you like the fret marker at the 10th fret? It sure plays tricks on me, when I play gypsy jazz guitars like that.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    On my LeVoi I got mine on the 9th fret  - really did my head in on the previous one I had.

It's lovely, and a bargain I'd say !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited November 2020
    Thanks all - yes, it's 670mm - 26 and a half inches as we say in 1958.

@Tadragh1 - it depends where you're based. As long as I don't have to swim anywhere! I haven't got many issues with driving. Other road users may disagree.

The fret marker at the 10th fret is a source of constant delight and amusement. I sorted it out by not going up the neck that far.

Thanks @Jalapeno - I do think it is a bit of a bargain. It's always tricky to say 'as new', but I don't think that I'd object if I bought it with that decription. It's had quite some interest on eBay already, but then it did when it was previously sold.  JWC make some fine guitars, but I think this one is a bit special as it was an order for a friend of the company (the original guitar owner). The original owner, apart from being a great tech, has also been a session musician for forty years but decided that he just couldn't play gypsy jazz. One thing he does though is to look after guitars. 
    Call me Dave.
    Price reduced to a Djangolicious £875 for a quick sale to a) avoid selling it on eBay where it has attracted some interest and an offer of a trade with another guitar of the same type and b) forcing me to keep it and try and learn to play - an outcome that I can assure you will please nobody.
    Call me Dave.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    edited November 2020
    Wow. That’s an amazing price! Looks stunning
  • I don’t like gypsy jazz or acoustics particularly (although that does look lovely) , I just came here to read your FS post and have a laugh.

You didn’t disappoint !
    Somebody offered me cash plus a Gitane in part exchange. FFS, I don’t even smoke.
    Call me Dave.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    DB1 said:
    Somebody offered me cash plus a Gitane in part exchange. FFS, I don’t even smoke.
    Badum tish !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Nice and sexy that guitar.  I've spent the last 6 months on and off playing along to a metronome trying to get stamina. elimintate rattles and play a gypsy bossa and la saphora - the right hand is improving and getting more relaxed (periods of doing tremolo picking along to a metronome really helped me), now working on my left hand fretting, stamina and getting a clean sound.  Then I might (just might) be able to move on.  I feel your pain.  Anyway no money so GLWTS

Let me give this a bump to see if anyone fancies it. I want to see if I can sell it before the calling to actually try to learn to play it gets too great. If it does, it will not end well, I promise you.
    Call me Dave.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    DB1 said:
    That's beside the point, mon ami.  Just have it hanging out of the side of your bouche for that ace-cool insouciant look as you give 'em Nuages, Manoir de mes Reves and all the rest of it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited December 2020
    JerkMoans said:
     as you give 'em Nuages, Manoir de mes Reves and all the rest of it.
    And I think that's where I can see the flaw. Trois souris aveugles is all  I've got and I don't remember Django covering that one.
    Call me Dave.
    Sunday equals bump day for this monster of manouche. Am I really going to have to learn the next four bars of the Godfather theme? Another two months?

Someone must want to caress my petit bouche. :o
    Call me Dave.
    Sold via eBay - now heading up the M6 with a magnificent Mancunian manouche maestro.
    Call me Dave.
  • best for sale thread ever.  
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Sacré nom d'un nom d'un nom!  Burluberu!  Marmiton de Domange!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As the little piggy said....

Oui!Oui! Oui! All the way home.
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom