Full fat Les Paul build

What's Hot

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    edited March 2021
    Thanks all - I'm really happy with it, feels proper professional.

Made backplates now, here it is with its 2008 Gibson LP Standard sister. Frankly, mine is nicer! The grain is much prettier and I never realised before how heavy handed the sanding is on the back of the gibson, the edge radius is almost gone in some places and it dips down to the cavities.

I'll do a video at the weekend with some tones.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    The question is...what next!

Wide sky style Les Paul with tailpiece?
    Baum Wingman style with 24.75" scale and set neck?
    Slightly smaller ES-335 with chambered solid back and carved top?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Hmmm. What about a neck through Yamaha SG-alike to see if they really are 'Les Paul beaters'?

B)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

AFAIK the Yammy SGs have the same construction as LPs, so built by the same person they should be pretty much the same...not a fan of the shape though!
  • Updated Buckethead LP?
    I'm not particularly tall, so an oversized body would make me look like a midget, and white is bloody difficult to get right - finishing is not my strong point!
    edited March 2021
    Expert thoughts needed again. Back in page 3 of this thread I said I was surprised at how straight the wraparound bridge was but it was perfectly intonated...well, it wasn't. I don't know how I managed to fuck this up!

I have moved the bass side back as far as I can without it falling off the posts and it's still quite sharp at the 12th fret. The post should be about 3mm back of where it is.

I'm thinking that the only option is to live with it (not sure I can) or plug with maple, redrill and try and make good the finish. Going to be impossible to make it invisible but might be hard to see from a distance.

Any better ideas?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    I think that one of the bridges with separate saddles will work. Schaller Signum or the Tonepros one maybe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Thanks Steve, I'm not even sure one of them would give me enough adjustment with the post where it is   
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Look at the Leo Quan Badass bridge.  It has a lot of adjustment over the length on the baseplate, as well as individual saddle adjustment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    I think that the real Badass hasn't been made for something like 40 years and the Chinese knockoffs are often too tall. 

The Signum should work nicely, it even works with straight posts I think.
    Thanks Phil, good idea, but I think I'd rather a hacked up paint job than the ugliness of the badass bridge though!!
    Looks like I can get a 12.7mm plug cutter from Screwfix, perfect size for the bridge hole. Given the drop fill worked well and I have leftover red paint I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and fixing it properly, another learning opportunity!

The Signum could be an option, but I think it might still have to hang off the posts and look a bit odd...and it's 120 quid! I do like the look of the Faber.
    Got 23 fence panels to fit first, so plenty of time to mull it over!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Go for the fix. The worst part is accepting what you know you should do. You clearly have the skills, it will just take time before the guitar is finished.
    It's a solid colour, so more forgiving than a clear one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, inclined to agree. Another reason to be glad I didn't spend a fortune on a sexy flamey top!
    Here is a photo of a fix i had to do for something i built as a christmas gift. There was no option other than to re-do the stud positions after i had mis-drilled the locating holes. It isnt perfect, but on a tight grained top, its not bad either. As i said, the worst part was accepting what needed to be done. The actual fix wasnt all that tricky. Having said that, the guitar had not been stained/sprayed at that point.

http://imgur.com/gallery/FTnFtbn

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's a good fix, had to zoom in to spot it!

It's not a particularly exposed location so should be OK.
    Exactly. Altogether a stunning build. Inspiring me to get off my butt and do a carve top too!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited March 2021
    I feel your pain @davros ;;
    Although the prospect of redoing it is never nice after all that hard work - once you do the alteration youll be really glad you did it.  
    Accepting the problem and biting the bullet is the hard part !  
    Correcting my cock ups is where ive learnt the most on my few builds 
    On my carve top build i under-angled the neck break angle slightly and couldnt get the bridge low enough
    - so had to strip the hatdware and recarve the top to bring the bridge plane down another mm or two.   I was loathe to do it , but glad that i have 
    Go for it - its such a great build that you want it to play perfectly too 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom