PSA Black Friday 6 jazz LPs for £20 Zavvi

robertyroberty Frets: 10893
Random selection of classics. Will probably end up with some doubles but can't go wrong for the money
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Hmmm. I do wonder what those sound like on vinyl. The Blue Note/ Prestige stuff will already have been remastered by the original engineer/ producer Rudy Van Gelder, and- I assume- done with his mind on CD and digital playback. 

This stuff provokes a lot of debate on forums like on the Steve Hoffman site. 

If they sound great, then they sound great regardless of format. I already have a lot of that stuff on CD anyway. Always best to get stuff released on the original label, however. Some things are licensed to third party labels, and the transfers can differ in quality. I bought what I thought was a 'bargain' Bill Evans 3 cd set, but the hiss on one of the discs was awful, like he was playing to a nest of vipers. Should have gone with the Original Jazz Classics label versions.   

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Redlester said:

If they sound great, then they sound great regardless of format. I already have a lot of that stuff on CD anyway. Always best to get stuff released on the original label, however. Some things are licensed to third party labels, and the transfers can differ in quality. I bought what I thought was a 'bargain' Bill Evans 3 cd set, but the hiss on one of the discs was awful, like he was playing to a nest of vipers. Should have gone with the Original Jazz Classics label versions.   

Been meaning to get hold of some Bill Evans albums since watching the Time Remembered documentary on Amazon Prime.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Evans-Time-Remembered-Bennett/dp/B07CQ7PD94

Will look up those versions. Cheers!
    @duotone Have you got any BE? 

Assuming not, so here are a few faves: 

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, but whose guiding spirit is truly Bill. 

Everybody Digs Bill Evans

Sunday at the Village Vanguard- either the original single disc or the complete version. One of the best jazz albums ever. 

The Bill Evans Tony Bennett Album. Stunning- if unexpected- collaboration from the 70s. 

There’s lots of others, but that’s a start! 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Thanks for those @Redlester ;

I have none of his albums, but have watched quite a few videos of him playing on YouTube, since seeing that documentary.
    Need to properly look into those albums, hopefully Spotify has some of those you suggested.  The ones I really like I will probably end up buying on CD. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    duotone said:
    Redlester said:

Been meaning to get hold of some Bill Evans albums since watching the Time Remembered documentary on Amazon Prime.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Evans-Time-Remembered-Bennett/dp/B07CQ7PD94

Will look up those versions. Cheers!
    One of the reviews on the page says:
    Good pressings too. They're DeAgostini Jazz At 33⅓ rpm overstock.
    I have a load of those DOL CD transfers and they sound great, clean and quiet. Used to be able to get them for a tenner
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    Thanks, these were a pre-order despatched 20th Dec, but there were delays.
    However I received mine today

Miles Davies - Sketches of Spain
    Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle
    Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto - Getz / Gilberto
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
    Eric Dolphy - 'Out to Lunch'

I guess I will be having a Jazzy weekend, all I need now is some scotch  
  • I got mine today as well - exactly the same selection as Jaycee, so perhaps there are only the six, and they kept it secret to maximise sales. As I've got my parents' copy of Sketches of Spain I thought there might be a possibility of swapsies, but apparently not. A very good selection, though - when I bought I'd had a few beers, and after I sobered up I thought it might be a bit rubbish, but I'm very glad to have those albums. 
  • I got mine today as well - exactly the same selection as Jaycee, so perhaps there are only the six, and they kept it secret to maximise sales. As I've got my parents' copy of Sketches of Spain I thought there might be a possibility of swapsies, but apparently not. A very good selection, though - when I bought I'd had a few beers, and after I sobered up I thought it might be a bit rubbish, but I'm very glad to have those albums. 
    I'll buy Sketches of Spain off you Grangousier (assuming you've still got the protective packaging ?). Its an album I fancy and didnt come with my 6 :-)
    That's not a bad selection for pot luck. Decent records all of them. 
    Jaycee said:
    Thanks, these were a pre-order despatched 20th Dec, but there were delays.
    However I received mine today

Miles Davies - Sketches of Spain
    Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle
    Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto - Getz / Gilberto
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
    Eric Dolphy - 'Out to Lunch'

I guess I will be having a Jazzy weekend, all I need now is some scotch  
    Mine arrived today and it was exactly this lol. Two of those are doubles for me so I am gifting them to a record collecting friend
    I don't have a huge collection of Jazz, I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it, I have played the first side of Sketches of Spain and I am impressed, looking forward to the rest 
    Jaycee said:
    I don't have a huge collection of Jazz, I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it, I have played the first side of Sketches of Spain and I am impressed, looking forward to the rest 
    Sketches of Spain was a gateway jazz for me. It got me into stronger and more addictive forms
    edited January 2021
    I spent the weekend listening to these, I must say Sketches of Spain was my favourite, "concierto de aranjuez" is excellent.

I will rate the Albums 1 - 5 in terms of Jazzy-ness, 1 being the easiest to listen to.

Miles Davies - Sketches of Spain   I enjoyed this the most, great to hear classic guitar tunes played with different instruments. J rating 2/3

Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle   definately listen to it again but would have to be in a Jazz frame of mind   J rating 4/5

Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto - Getz / Gilberto    Getz Sax playing is brilliant, quite an easy listen  J rating 2

Dexter Gordon - Go       When I think of Jazz this is the sound I hear      J rating 3

Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis        When someone says Jazz these two among others would come into thier mind    J rating 1

Eric Dolphy - 'Out to Lunch'    This is an acquired taste, would listen to this after I listened to Dexter Gordon   J rating 5

Thanks again Roberty for the heads up

These are now £35 on Zavvi
    No worries @Jaycee - Sketches of Spain is a masterpiece. It got me interested in Gil Evans as an arranger and also third stream jazz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_stream

Sketches of Spain is kind of unique in that it's a fusion of jazz and classical and also Spanish flamenco

Miles Davis did a few albums with Gil Evans, to my ears they are all perfect from start to finish
    The Miles/Gil albums are great. 

Sketches of Spain works, but it’s not the best they did together IMO and it's not as consistent as the two earlier 50s albums they did. 

I recommend Mies Ahead as the suite of music that hangs together best as a suite of music, and that probably best shows off Gil Evans's talents and his ear as an arranger. Standout tracks include the Duke, Blues for Pablo and New Rhumba. 

My personal favourite is their version of Porgy and Bess. It's somewhere between Miles Ahead and Spain, having the ensemble and blues roots of the former, while being a tad more experimental like the latter. Standout tracks are a superb take on Summertime, and one of my favourite Miles Davids tracks of all, which is 'Gone' from the original P+B, which breaks into a seriously hot track called "Gone, Gone, Gone'. This is one they wrote themselves I think, and (ironically for an orchestral jazz album), there's a series of bars which is just a vamp, Miles playing some incredibly moving stuff over bass and drums. 

Of the other stuff: Birth of the Cool from 49 is where their collaboration started and is worth a listen. 

Quiet Nights is for completists only. 

Live at Carnegie Hall from the early 60s (orange cover) is alright: It was a sort of gala Miles Davis performance, which featured tracks by his then group, and some stuff with orchestra conducted by Gil. 

Also worth checking out on You Tube is a late 50s TV special, which features orchestra, Gil, Coltrane et al, doing selections from the above, plus an orchestral version of So What? Features a great moment where someone's soloing and Miles is having a fag and a chat to some other players. He looks good as well: casual jacket, sweater and a neckerchief.

Them were the days when real men wore neckerchiefs!