RIP Dave Prowse

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4492
edited November 2020 in Tributes
Arguably the most iconic screen baddie of all time.  And kept us 70s kids safe crossing the road.

RIP Dave.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    On this mornings breakfast news they played the dolly mic which picked up Dave Prowse’s West Country accent, it was unintentionally hilarious tbh 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    edited November 2020
    There was a great disturbance in the Force..

That BBC tribute linked by OP has a clip of the Bristolian Darth Vader- hilarious!

Loved him as Vader and the Greencross code dude... RIP Dave.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • This is not the way
    “Ken sent me.”
  • MrsTheWeary just been telling me, sad. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Dave was a client of the accountancy firm where I did my training. He went for me once, he thought I'd lost the cash for his gym's payroll. He had one leg in plaster so I was able to stay out of his reach. He wasn't the most commercially astute of people, I remember the partner who dealt with him asking him many times not to sign anything financial without consulting with him first.

Around that time he had an American girlfriend who was about half of his size, and there were times when he was genuinely terrified of her.
  • He touched my bottom once. RIP.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    edited November 2020
    Greatest screen villain of all time. Even if some of his menace was in James Earl Jones' voice, Prowse's physical presence was the key - he was able to convey complete ruthlessness and power by his movements alone, even though his face was never seen.

RIP

So sad to hear David Prowse has passed. He was a kind man & much more than Darth Vader. Actor-Husband-Father-Member of the Order of the British Empire-3 time British Weightlifting Champion & Safety Icon the Green Cross Code Man. He loved his fans as much as they loved him. #RIP pic.twitter.com/VbDrGu6iBz

— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The year before his big career break, Prowse was a member of the supporting cast on The Kenneth Williams Show. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    He'll always be the Green Cross Man to me.  Even when he was Darth Vader I thought of him as the Green Cross Man.

Sounds like he'd been in poor health for quite some time.  RIP.
  • Don't forget he was also the Black Knight...Against the knights who say..
    “Ken sent me.”
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Philly_Q said:
    He'll always be the Green Cross Man to me.  Even when he was Darth Vader I thought of him as the Green Cross Man.

I’ve been listening to the news who say he was the Green Cross man too, but I remember him as the Green Cross Code Man.....
  • There exists a plausible rumour that the cover of Argus by Wishbone Ash inspired Darth Vader’s costume.
    (Well, there’s  even a UFO on the back of the album..)

It was a huge commercial hit, and the timing is good, coming as it did in 1972, which would fit with the gestation of the first Star Wars (released 1977)

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRockMagazine/posts/the-story-of-an-album-that-may-have-inspired-darth-vader/10157157516635883/
  • I first came across Dave when he played Julian in the Film A Clockwork Orange then met him a few times in Harrods Knightsbridge in the mid 70s where he was a personal trainer before he did Star Wars.
    He was a nice guy.
    Sad news.

tone1 said:
    Philly_Q said:

I’ve been listening to the news who say he was the Green Cross man too, but I remember him as the Green Cross Code Man.....
    The Advertising Archives  Magazine Advert  Government Campaigns Road  Safety  1950s
    There exists a plausible rumour that the cover of Argus by Wishbone Ash inspired Darth Vader’s costume.
    (Well, there’s  even a UFO on the back of the album..)

It was a huge commercial hit, and the timing is good, coming as it did in 1972, which would fit with the gestation of the first Star Wars (released 1977)

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRockMagazine/posts/the-story-of-an-album-that-may-have-inspired-darth-vader/10157157516635883/
    Good story if it's true.  And a classic album.
    edited November 2020
    There exists a plausible rumour that the cover of Argus by Wishbone Ash inspired Darth Vader’s costume.
    I think it's equally or more likely it could have been inspired by Hermann Göring - the helmet is very German-looking, combined with a cape and jackboots...

I seem to remember Lucas saying his original concept of Vader was as a "seven-foot stormtrooper".

Reading up on Prowse it seems that despite his importance to the films he was a little badly treated by Lucas - he was apparently promised he would be revealed as Vader at the end of ROTJ, but was replaced by Sebastian Shaw. Ironically, Prowse looked more like an older Hayden Christensen than Shaw did. The rest of the crew also referred to him as 'Darth Farmer' behind his back because of his West Country accent.

He was also later barred from attending fan conventions by Lucas.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I think it's equally or more likely it could have been inspired by Hermann Göring - the helmet is very German-looking, combined with a cape and jackboots...

I seem to remember Lucas saying his original concept of Vader was as a "seven-foot stormtrooper".

Like a lot of Star Wars it's a mash up of different things. There's a Samurai warrior in there as well.
    not_the_dj said:

Like a lot of Star Wars it's a mash up of different things. There's a Samurai warrior in there as well.
    Indeed - the mask especially. I have to say I find the Argus one a bit far-fetched though - it's a fantastic album but I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas was completely unaware of it. The warrior is meant to be a Spartan, I think - the Vader association is just a coincidence of the shape of the helmet and the cloak.

• Yes, has to be a mix .Certainly looks Samurai like, as well as SS like

But if I find that photo of Darth with a Flying V, you’ll be hearing from me .
  • Yes, has to be a mix .Certainly looks Samurai like, as well as SS like

But if I find that photo of Darth with a Flying V, you’ll be hearing from me .
    Nah, we all know Vader had a Musicman ( light) Sabre. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom