Stack of Twang: 3x Tele style buids

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Everything gets pulled through a few times, flipped to equalise them in case the drum's not quite true or worn a bit etc. They come off the thicknesser with roller marks and the usual slight ripples from the blades. Or bandsaw marks. I haven't got the hang of shooting for a super exact thickness, more a case of getting them into some ballpark all nice and smoothed.
    As they get flipped & repeated etc I nudge the fence closer when needed. On the final pulls they come through just barely being kissed by the drum.

Did wonder about rigging up some kind of screw adjuster for the fence gap, but haven't tried to do one yet. It'd be more like a mini drum sander then I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Slight binding cock-up, thought I had the right bearing in but cut a 2mm channel. Not terrible but had to order more binding.
    Because the pocket's already there I make wood infills in case the pocket edges get ripped. Takes a few mins and easy insurance.
    There's enough body for the bearing to ride over the jack socket hole so no probs there.

Quick mockup with tuners in and neck bolted up. Always feels good when a thing starts to look a bit like a guitar

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited December 2020
    Like the thicknessing jig.   I’ve been bodging it with a fence and a couple of clamps but on these spindle sanders there’s not a lot to clamp to so your jig looks like a solution I might try.   Guess I just need to drill a couple of mounting holes in the table.  Mine is a cheap Von Haus one but seems to come from the same factory as the Tritons.  

Very nice overhead binding jig too. 

Just re reading the early part of the thread you mentioned some issues with bought templates - must admit I have preferred to make my own templates from the start, but you’d expect commercially made templates to be accurate etc - what were the problems ?  

Pin router looks really useful - seems to open up a lot more possibilities.   
    The builds are looking fabulous.   Nothing more classic than a well made Tele 

Ps - I love that No7 plane too - mine is probably my favourite tool. Great for edge jointing.    Just bought a thick Ray Isles blade and new cap iron for mine.  

Sounds like you have been busy building new jigs and setting up the new tools. 

tFB Trader
    It's the only template I've ever bought, but had a few problems with that supplier lately.

I've got an Isles iron in my 5 1/2, very nice, stays sharp a good long time. The 7 was a lucky local boot sale find for cheap, dated it to the '50s, keeps an edge for ages. I keep finding good stuff there. Last time I met a tool dealer who had a No.1 with him, a little jewel that was. £1k among collectors.
    Best one I've got is a #6 from the 1890s, the iron is quite short from years of use but also keeps a demon edge for ages. But the 7 gets more use.
    tFB Trader
    Updates.
    Blackguard is held up waiting on parts for my overarm router. Starting another neck, a consequence of figuring out the new quick-shaping with the helicopter router cutter.

Alder/maple-top Esquire is top-bound and the neck mostly shaped bar final going-over and smoothing, rolling etc

tFB Trader
    The second lines 'n stripes one - the pear body got lightened out. The top got done. Because of skimming & lightening the body the top is separate inc the centre 5-piece bar. Have to be careful lining it all up in the glueing down of the top.

Shooting board. Arty pic. Kind of, maybe.

And pickups decided, Tele bridge with a tron-size Goldfoil in the neck, from Mojo -

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    When I got the tops I thought they were plain, though mineral-streaked etc, but blow me down there's some quite nice fairly wide flame in there. Shown up with panel wipe here plus the lighting.

And the binding got done though yet to be scraped in

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neat and sharp - love it 
  • These are looking amazing! 
    tFB Trader
    Cheers!
    tFB Trader
    Bit of an update but notalot. My back went into meltdown for no apparent reason, I spent the last 10 days on codeine and the last few kipping on the lounge floor. Not least because the dog was ill as well so I could keep an eye on him. Tell you what though, codeine and whiskey is a hell of a combo... very odd dreams. Talking cows and all sorts : )

I decided the blackguard could do with a choice of necks so made another, the new one's more of a pie-eating chunk at about 24.5mm / 25.25mm. The first one will be a bit slimmer.

Btw this mini sled is what does headstock thinning among other things. I've got a few of these, with different sets of rails, I've made like 1.5mm wood with them for trussrod covers, or thinned control plates and all sorts. Cheap and easy.

tFB Trader
    And a quick mockup group shot

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow - They are looking really good.   
    Like the Elus and the mini sled. I do the same for thicknessing small areas too now.   

Do you have any pics of your neck routing set up - sounds like a beast !! 

Are you going for natural finishes or colour on these ?  
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Pete. There's no other pics, they're up there really that sled plus d/s taping to the router-planer bed for thinning things, and the basic neck shaper on the prev page. The same black-topped base for that doubles for truss rods, it's got a channel routed underneath for a pin to ride in.
    I like Elu, the 177s are way cheaper than a DW625 and some claim are still better - I wouldn't know - had to replace the bearings on one but it's from 1986 and still runs smooth and true. The pin router has an Elu motor (could do with another for spare, Dewalt also copied that but it's rocking horse plop rare).
    I've got an Elu 97 which Dewalt still make a version of, a 1/4" one, I really like it. The extraction runs through one of the plunge pillars and works really well.

The Esquire is going to be light blue with a more LPB back I think, I was tempted by shell pink tones but got a feeling more people like the idea than buy them so backing out of that idea. The blackguard'll be the usual tones, and not at all sure on the lines & stripes one yet - see what it looks like with a sealer coat on and decide then I guess.
    tFB Trader
    Feels like ages. Is ages. Been laid up & drugged up again for a bit, and working on a possible product to sell. Lot of faffert. Finally managed to get some proper things done though.

The Esquire got primed/sanded and some colour squirted on the back. The top'll be a different shade. Custom mixed pearl & candy blue, so it looks a bit different depending on the light. Also I'm rubbish with a camera.

^sun came out so quick pic after first sealing layer of lacquer today. Didn't get the spangle too well but..
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And some necks, middle one will get more working on and get beaten up later for the blackguard. Front one is spare, or a different profile option for the b/g-

edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    Blackguard's carcass got sanded & sealed and some off-white trans blown on it. A base for later layers

colours are a bit funny-looking.. but hey
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fantastic looking teles.   Such a great standard Bill.   Even in those pics the blue looks amazingly good.  Someone’s going to get a killer Tele (x3) 

tFB Trader
    Cheers Pete!
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Blackguard would look sweet as it is with a bit of tinted lacquer.... Great work as ever Bill :)
    www.theflyingacesband.com