Recommendations for a keyboard for an 11yr who wants to learn piano

What's Hot
danodano Frets: 1591
edited November 2020 in Off Topic
Title says it all really... my daughter has started secondry school this year, she's quite musical (ukulele and some basic guitar) and has started getting interested in learning piano.

I'm looking for any recommendations from on a suitable keyboard. I reckon 49key would be about the right size. Yamaha, casio etc.

Nord Electro need not apply

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have one of these boxed unused:

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/PSR-E353-Home-Keyboard/pidSPSRE353UK

Don’t really know it’s worth as it was my dads but he never got to use it before he passed. I wouldn’t be able to post due to size obviously but we can come to some kind of deal if you’re interested, apparently not a bad bit of kit for a beginner.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    edited November 2020
    dano said:
    Title says it all really... my daughter has started secondry school this year, she's quite musical (ukulele and some basic guitar) and has started getting interested in learning piano.

I'm looking for any recommendations from on a suitable keyboard. I reckon 49key would be about the right size. Yamaha, casio etc.

Nord Electro need not apply

Do you mean keyboard or piano? Keyboard keys aren’t generally weighted, or only partially so you can’t learn a lot of the techniques that are associated with piano. 

If she wants to learn piano then you need the full 88 keys, and a digital piano would be perfect. 

If it’s keyboards with the more synthy stuff etc then there are lots of options but first we need to establish if it’s actually the piano or keyboards. They’re two different disciplines. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    As @TeleMaster said you want proper weighted keys.  Get a proper digital piano.

Roland FP30 is good new.  If you don't want to spend that much, you can probably get an older Roland or Yamaha second hand quite cheaply.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I have the FP30 and it’s excellent!
  • We have a Yamaha digital piano. Proper weighted keys. Sounds great on its own. But it also has midi.
    Just hook up to your PC fire up a DAW and a few Synth plugins and you get hours of extra fun.
  • My son has the Roland:Go piano. Inexpensive, weighted keys, good piano sound and has a few synth sounds thrown in. Also connects to apps via Bluetooth.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    When it comes to learning something new there is a natural tendancy to not spend too much in case the person doesn't continue with it.  What you don't want to do is get something that is too cheap, and not up to the job, so that it becomes a barrier to learning.  Also, accept that if they do persue this an interest that they will ultimately want something better.

Following this logic there should also be plenty of secondhand gear available because people have either given up or outgrown it.

Specific to piano or keyboard.  If it's piano then get something 88 key / weighted.  I've played keys for years, and had a semi-weighted instrument, but about 12 months ago I decided to learn piano and bought a Casio CDP-S100.  Weighted keys are completely different (I actually found them a lot easier to play).  The Casio feels great.  It did develop a fault very early on but Casio Service were very efficient at replacing it.

Just be aware that they do take up a bit of space.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    The bit about getting an instrument that is good quality enough so that it doesn't become a barrier is VERY important.  There is nothing worse in an instrument than something that is physically bad to use, especially when you are learning.   I bought a second hand Yamaha P75 when I took up lessons, it's weighted, 88 keys, no thrills digital piano with Midi.  I think it was like £200 or so used.  There are new models now.

My sister is teaching their kids who are 3 and 6 piano soon, they are getting a proper upright Kawai Piano, you probably don't need to go that far but that's because the dad has a piano background and want something for the house.
  • I rented a proper upright to check my daughter was going to stick with it.  I could have returned it after 6 months if i wanted.  Theres nothing like a proper piano
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I rented a proper upright to check my daughter was going to stick with it.  I could have returned it after 6 months if i wanted.  Theres nothing like a proper piano

A good quality digital one with a decent key action will play well and always be in tune.  WIll be cheaper in the long run as it won't need regular tuning at £70 a pop.
  • We got a yamaha p105 this year, under £250.

Now, I used to have a big Roland hp3e. This little yamaha sounds every bit as good, weighs less, takes waaaay less space and is generally absolutely fantastic. 

It's lacking some of the finer components (such as a true full hammer action - the little "click" you get at the bottom of the key) but you pay silly money for that. Instead, this is fully weighted and graduated (bass keys heavier, top keys lighter). 
    . It's a brilliant instrument. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    We’ve got a Yamaha digital piano. Inexpensive and decent enough quality. As others have already pointed out if you want to learn piano (rather than keyboard) then you need proper weighted keys and touch sensitivity. A simple keyboard won’t give you that.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • danodano Frets: 1591
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for all the I formation, some great knowledge out there on tFB.

Its piano that she is primarily interested in, rather than keyboard

I've done a bit of googling and these Yamaha Piagerro Digital Pianos look interesting, some good YouTube demo videos.

Now this is "Graded Hammer Action" as opposed to weighted. Is that much of a difference ? 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-76-keys-np-32b-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOdllwbh6WTZgdAVk5EJO9zvrM-OBcYIeVktZs6hyvl0Ftd3DufG89caAjpxEALw_wcB
  • dano said:
    Thanks for all the I formation, some great knowledge out there on tFB.

Its piano that she is primarily interested in, rather than keyboard

I've done a bit of googling and these Yamaha Piagerro Digital Pianos look interesting, some good YouTube demo videos.

Now this is "Graded Hammer Action" as opposed to weighted. Is that much of a difference ? 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-76-keys-np-32b-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOdllwbh6WTZgdAVk5EJO9zvrM-OBcYIeVktZs6hyvl0Ftd3DufG89caAjpxEALw_wcB
    Graded means bass keys heavier than treble. Still not a true hammer action, but you pay a lot for it. 

The yamaha p105 is fantastic, honestly. Can't fault it. It's basically an affordable-level digital piano for keyboard money that only takes the space of a keyboard. The new version is the p125 I think.