Taylor American Dream Acoustics

What's Hot
Has anyone tried one of the new Taylor American Dream acoustics? What were your impressions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really dig them, it has all the spark of a higher end Taylor without any of the aesthetic frills. The Blacktop AD17 is my personal favourite, the V Class bracing sounds as great as always and the new Aero cases are really nice. It's a proper working guitar, we did a video review here - 
  • I really dig them, it has all the spark of a higher end Taylor without any of the aesthetic frills. The Blacktop AD17 is my personal favourite, the V Class bracing sounds as great as always and the new Aero cases are really nice. It's a proper working guitar, we did a video review here - 
    Thanks - that's really helpful. From the demo I think the AD27 is my favourite. Will have to see if my local store sells them so I can give them a try.
  • I like that Taylor are selling non-pick up versions of these guitars (though whether they will be held in stock by dealers is another matter). I guess I'm in a minority but it irritates me that so many otherwise desirable acoustics nowadays have electronics installed by default.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    Are these basically like a 314 without the cutaway?  all Solid back and sides?

Is the bodyshape or size much different to the 314? The price is close enough between them to look at them both.
  • Looks more like a round-shouldered 310 to me.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 600
    I think I initially dismissed these due to the terrible name (reminds me of the "True American" models that Guild used to make, which makes me cringe). The specs actually look really interesting, and I quite like the austere slope shouldered dread thing. Might check one out once they start hitting the secondhand market.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Are these basically like a 314 without the cutaway?  all Solid back and sides?

Is the bodyshape or size much different to the 314? The price is close enough between them to look at them both.
    The ‘7’ series is its own shape/size (“Grand Pacific” - Taylor’s riff on a slope-shouldered dreadnought). 

(The ‘4’ is Grand Auditorium, a little curvier and more “modern”). 

The woods are nicer on the 3xx series IMO. Ebony Vs eucalyptus fretboard is a big one. Taylor is also using cosmetically flawed stuff on the AD series that wouldn’t make the cut on their other lines - although if you get the black one it wouldn’t make a shred of difference for the top at least obviously!

The 300 series is a real sweet spot for value in the main Taylor line, esp if you buy at the right time of year and snag a discount. 
  • My local shop actually have a 710e in stock at a reduced price of £1799 which seems a great price. Looking forward to trying that too

• I like the idea of them, need to try really.  I’m looking for a smaller bodied guitar (compared to my old dread) with all solid woods.  Sound nice enough in the demos and Taylors do play well, but I think Furch vintage are probably top of my list.  

• I like the idea of them, need to try really.  I’m looking for a smaller bodied guitar (compared to my old dread) with all solid woods.  Sound nice enough in the demos and Taylors do play well, but I think Furch vintage are probably top of my list.  
    I don't know anything about Furch  but seen the name come up a lot. I take it their worth considering?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I like the idea of them, need to try really.  I’m looking for a smaller bodied guitar (compared to my old dread) with all solid woods.  Sound nice enough in the demos and Taylors do play well, but I think Furch vintage are probably top of my list.  
    I don't know anything about Furch  but seen the name come up a lot. I take it their worth considering?

Very much worth considering.

They are very good guitars.
  • I was offered a Furch in exchange for my GS Mini when it was up for sale. I think it was my dislike of the dreadnought shape that made me say no although thinking back it had a better waistline than most. That and me knowing nothing about them. Maybe missed a great deal