Studio Hardware Suggestions....

What's Hot
Looking to buy my son something for his Home Studio for Christmas. 
Without going into detail, he has built up quite a collection of gear over the years. He is pretty successful,  does good work and is definately switched on.
As l'm not up to date or familiar with what's out there.. Can anyone suggest /recommend anything that might be beneficial for a home studio and l could check out.....
Maybe around £200 - £300...
Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited November 2020
    can't really recommend anything without knowing what he has first... a nice spinny studio chair maybe?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    A studio cat.
  • Something people often neglect to buy for themselves (because it's not 'fun' or instantly pleasing like a new bit of kit) is room treatment.

Acoustic wall panels, foam monitor plinths, etc could all make a substantial difference to his work. Studiospares do various 'kits' which might suit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you sneak a picture so we can see what he already has ?
  • Voucher for Studiospares, or similar :)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited November 2020
    Coffee/espresso machine
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, send us a pic of the current studio

Otherwise
    Great pop filter: https://sxpro.co.uk/hakan-p110
    More hifi competitor to a 57: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/audix-i5/20066

• Branshen said:
    can't really recommend anything without knowing what he has first... a nice spinny studio chair maybe?
    goldtop said:
    A studio cat.
    Mudcrutch said:
    Can you sneak a picture so we can see what he already has ?
    Yeah, send us a pic of the current studio

OK, thanks guys...... Can't get a photograph just now, can't visit his place due to COVID Restrictions........but, here's a wee list of some of the stuff l think he has at the moment.
    Dramwer 1968MKll
    Phoenix Audio Ascent 2 EQ
    DBX 162SL
    Rupert Neve Designs 55Joe MeekSC2
    Elecktron Analog Heat. 

All that is a bit of a black box to me, l'm afraid.... But l'm sure his DAW is Reaper if that makes a difference..... And he already has a Cat.... Ollie !! 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    edited November 2020
    Does he mostly do recording, or mixing? And is it mostly synth-based music, or guitar/rock stuff?

I'm biased, but one thing you could get him is a subscription to Sound On Sound magazine.

If he doesn't already have a secondary monitor system you could get something like a pair of Avantone Mixcubes.

There are lots of small affordable desktop synths that are good fun. Look at Modal for example.

A really nice pair of headphones? Again, depends what he has already of course.

If he's also a guitarist, you could get him the necessary kit to integrate his pedalboard into a recording/mixing chain -- something like the Radial EXTC-SA.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Get him something from a shop with a good selection of gear and a decent return policy for change of mind! so he can get something else if you get him something he can't/doesn't use. 

Instruments are always fun, guitars, bass, synths, percussion things
    He has rack gear and I reckon it is difficult to find out what he would like/need. Guitar pedals would have the same problem. 
    Monitoring gear might be appreciated, like headphones suggested above, or maybe a subwoofer?
    Studio furniture, chair, studio equipment racks maybe?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Couple of suggestions:

Aston Stealth microphone - always good to have more microphone choices and it has a good reputation as being good for the price.

Golden Age Pre73 preamp - might be a different flavour of preamp.

Or a nice monitor controller such as the Mackie Big Knob Studio+

Behringer X-Touch motorized faders so he can have the "big desk" look and use them to control the faders in Reaper.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    edited December 2020
    thegummy said:

Behringer X-Touch motorized faders so he can have the "big desk" look and use them to control the faders in Reaper.
    I have the X-Touch and, because there is no naughty list this year, I'll be getting the Extender this Christmas to give me 16 motorised faders.  Very useful studio tool but the full size X-Touch is >£350.  There is a compact version for c£260  https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B3L but stocks seem to be low.