Overused and abused words

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Utilise. It literally means the same as “use” but people put in sentences to try and sound formal, when really it makes them sound insecure.
    Slightly off the point I know, but relevant here.  When I was a kid I had a big Reader’s Digest kids book that was a compendium of stories, jokes, games, puzzles etc.  One of the was called ‘Kangaroo Words’ - you were presented with a long word, e.g. ‘utilise’ and you had to find the smaller word it contained ‘use’ that had the same meaning.  Like a kangaroo with a smaller version of itself, a joey, inside, geddit?  Good fun when you are about 7!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    “These toilets are regularly inspected by the management.”

Are they fuck.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    “Safety is our No.1 priority.”

No, it’s making money,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    "If I'm honest"

So you're not normally then? Thanks, I'll make a note of that. 

My SiL uses it almost as a verbal tick, instead of "um" and "er" when drawing breath; drives me nuts. Not that I can say anything for fear of the row that would follow. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    I'll look into this and then revert back to you.
    I look forward to the re-circle
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687

Are they fuck.
    I say "Are they fuck" all the time but as phrase, its a car crash.

My personal favourite at the moment, esp when describing guitars for sale: 

Rare.  
    Jetfire said:

Are they fuck.

I reckon 'fuck' should be exempt from any grammatical intervention. Equally as pleasing to my ear are - "The fuck they are", "For fuck's sake" or just a pared down, "Fuck off".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ironic and unique. Rarely, is it either.

Also "totally unique" which is redundant, like razed to the ground.

Dominic said:
    Yes , the 'reaching out ' thing is just awful .......it always makes me think of somebody in a film just about to be swallowed by quicksand .
    Essex people say ' obviously ' a lot which is annoying ,obviously .
    Why do people from Essex say 'yous ' instead of you and people in Northern call centres say "yourself " when the correct term is you ........eg ' is there anything else we can provide for yourself ?' 
    Why are calls always monitored for 'security and training purposes ' ........I bet they never use them for training .How about start employing staff who are already trained , institute better security and stop recording me OR tell the truth and say "we are a slippery , lying,con- artist extortionist dressed up as an Insurance company to rip as much money as we can from you and fight as hard as we can to trip you up and never pay out a claim if we can get away with it .That's why we record you on the phone .

I've only heard people on TOWIE say that. I'm from Essex but I'd never say it because I can speak proper, obviously :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• hoopshoops Frets: 223
    "Robust" popular with politicians. They can fuck the fuck off!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ironic and unique. Rarely, is it either.

Also "totally unique" which is redundant, like razed to the ground.

Dominic said:
    Yes , the 'reaching out ' thing is just awful .......it always makes me think of somebody in a film just about to be swallowed by quicksand .
    Essex people say ' obviously ' a lot which is annoying ,obviously .
    Why do people from Essex say 'yous ' instead of you and people in Northern call centres say "yourself " when the correct term is you ........eg ' is there anything else we can provide for yourself ?' 
    Why are calls always monitored for 'security and training purposes ' ........I bet they never use them for training .How about start employing staff who are already trained , institute better security and stop recording me OR tell the truth and say "we are a slippery , lying,con- artist extortionist dressed up as an Insurance company to rip as much money as we can from you and fight as hard as we can to trip you up and never pay out a claim if we can get away with it .That's why we record you on the phone .

I've only heard people on TOWIE say that. I'm from Essex but I'd never say it because I can speak proper, obviously :lol:
    Vous.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    "Vile" is a word that only seems to be used in condemnatory newspaper headlines.

If we move on from words to sentences then "your call is important to us" is one that pisses me off. They never come up with the second bit, "but not important enough for us to employ enough staff so that you don't have to wait for thirty minutes before you can speak to an automated menu system". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1509
    'Vintage' for a load of junk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    A bloke i work with says "Basically" at the start of every bloody sentence.....i basically want to slam his nuts repeatedly in a rusty car door until he shuts up!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    'reach out' is one of my pet hates too.  I deal with a lot of people from the US, and they use it loads
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Politicians being “clear” or “transparent”

Nigella Lawson “loving” everything she prepares and cooks, and then giving that overused sideways, supposedly saucy, glance when she eats it.  

Kirsten Ramsay on Repair Shop saying “actually” all the time. 

Fred Dibnah’s repeated use of “of course”. 

All of them really get on my tits. 
    rawk100 said:
    A bloke i work with says "Basically" at the start of every bloody sentence.....i basically want to slam his nuts repeatedly in a rusty car door until he shuts up!
    Why does the car door have to be rusty?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314

Jetfire said:

Are they fuck.

I reckon 'fuck' should be exempt from any grammatical intervention. Equally as pleasing to my ear are - "The fuck they are", "For fuck's sake" or just a pared down, "Fuck off".
    Fuck is such a perfect word, it deserves a bye in everything. I’m very fond of the minimist “fucksake” myself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    "virus"
    "vaccine"
    "lockdown"
    "now more than ever"
  • Absolutely agree with this one:
    boogieman said:
    Politicians being “clear” or “transparent”
    Especially when they say "Let me be clear" or "We've always been clear" when it is immediately apparent they are not being/have not been.

However, this concerns me:
    boogieman said:
    Nigella Lawson “loving” everything she prepares and cooks, and then giving that overused sideways, supposedly saucy, glance when she eats it.  
    There is nothing negative that can be said against Nigella. Absolutely nothing.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom