£100k SRV Relic....

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
Seemingly when Fender potted John Cruz they gifted him the Number One Proto......

https://reverb.com/item/37320171-fender-custom-srv-number-one-prototype-john-cruz-masterbuilt

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Whats up with pick ups? they look like allen bolt heads?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    Whats up with pick ups? they look like allen bolt heads?
    Just some weird fake ageing to simulate the originals....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Did the originals have Allen bolt heads? I don't know much about SRV tbh... 
    Jetfire said:
    No. These don't either if you look closely.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    "All I ask is you Love her as much as I did".

I feel sick!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    The custom sticker by the bridge looks weird to me.
    Really love the SRV & Rory Gallagher peeled/worn finish looking Strats. Are there any other options with this similar finish?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    "letter of province"  :#
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    No idea what that’s about, either. For a sense of how roughly recreated most features are:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?201359-Stevie-Ray-Vaughan-s-quot-Number-One-quot

I’ve nothing against them, but relic replicas are generally pretty cartoonish so I struggle with the idea of them being hugely valuable. Must be plenty of happy buyers out there, though.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    A lot of money but you would not BELIEVE how well that neck has been bolted on to the body.....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1399
    edited December 2020
    Whoever buys this is essentially paying for a piece of tribute "art" by John Cruz. It has absolutely nothing to do with SRV (who died 13 years before this guitar was made). If anyone feels an objet d'art by John Cruz is a good use of £100k they can be my guest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Sorry, I don't buy this 'master builder' bullsh*t.

He's a bloke that is competent with a screwdriver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It's times like these you need to remember people pay millions for paintings.  100k is a lot to us, but will likely be affordable to many people.  he just needs the right person to see the ad.

Seems they ended on good terms if Fender gave him a parting gift.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    “It is very hard for me to part with it”

but since I was sacked by fender, I feel I’m owed some sort of money :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    It's times like these you need to remember people pay millions for paintings.  100k is a lot to us, but will likely be affordable to many people.  he just needs the right person to see the ad.

I assume he'd had it a long time, or its not Cruz selling it. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    joeyowen said:

Says in the note it was given to him on his last day at Fender, although that could just be a selling hook
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    joeyowen said:
     he just needs the right person to see the ad.

• A friend of a friend bought a guitar at the David Gilmour auction - he paid about this kind of figure for it. The instrument in question will no doubt have been played by DG - but I’ve never seen a photo of him with it. The person in question obviously felt it was ‘worth it’, even though it wasn’t a ‘famous’ DG guitar.

I suspect someone with similar resources, who happens to be madly into SRV might think this is ‘worth it’ as well.

Each to their own.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    barnstorm said:
    Jetfire said:
    No idea what that’s about, either. For a sense of how roughly recreated most features are:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?201359-Stevie-Ray-Vaughan-s-quot-Number-One-quot

I’ve nothing against them, but relic replicas are generally pretty cartoonish so I struggle with the idea of them being hugely valuable. Must be plenty of happy buyers out there, though.
    I hope that crappy stand isn’t going to damage the finish.
    joeyowen said:
    joeyowen said:

Says in the note it was given to him on his last day at Fender, although that could just be a selling hook
    Its true, the guitar has hung on the wall at the Custom Shop and in Cruz' booth there for the last 16 years. I'm thinking the figure asked is just a starting point. I have to say having seen this in the flesh at the NAMM show and two of the ones produced afterwards that this one is the better guitar with a lot more attention to detail.