Cheapo bass

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
edited December 2020 in Bass
Hi all

Due to a house move I may have space soon for a real bass guitar. But, also due to a house move, I will be looking at the very low end of the market. To me that is £0 - £100.

What is there out there and is there anything passable?

Until now I have been creating basslines on my guitar and then dropping the pitch in Reaper, so you can see that I am not after anything fancy. What I do want is something that works, will intonate and hold tune and sound like a bass rather than a pitched down 6 string.

In an ideal world I'd get a Squier, Epiphone or Fender, but cash doesn't allow that and I doubt my playing will justify either of those. I'd be happy to do a bit of fettling on fret ends etc, but I don't want to get into replacing tuners, pickups etc.

Over to you...

Martin

PS - I should add that I am open to ideas/ offers if anyone has anything second hand that might fit the bill. If so just send a DM. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited December 2020
    This excellent value for money as are pretty much all of the Harley Benton bass guitars.

Harley Benton PB-20 BK Standard Series £88 from Thomann 

Electric Bass

• Body: Poplar
    • Bolt-on neck: Maple
    • Fretboard: Amaranth
    • Dot-inlays
    • Neck profile: Modern C
    • 20 Frets
    • Scale: 864 mm
    • Nut width: 42 mm
    • Dual action truss rod
    • 1 PB style pickup
    • 1 Volume knob and 1 tone knob
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Classic PB-Style machine heads
    • String thickness: 045 - 105
    • Colour: Black high gloss
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp120bk_ebass.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Take a look in the Basses £ classified listings. 

From memory, somebody has an Ibanez GSR for under a ton. There is also a Peavey Milestone Bass similarly priced.

If you can increase your budget, the least expensive Yamaha RBX basses are solidly constructed.

In the longer term, the weak points on any of these instruments can be upgraded as funds allow.

SUGGESTION: Your search will probably prove more productive if you move this Discussion to the Basses £ section and add “WTB:” to the beginning of its title.
    Be seeing you.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited December 2020
    Take a look in the Basses £ classified listings. 

From memory, somebody has an Ibanez GSR for under a ton. There is also a Peavey Milestone Bass similarly priced.

If you can increase your budget, the least expensive Yamaha RBX basses are solidly constructed.

In the longer term, the weak points on any of these instruments can be upgraded as funds allow.

SUGGESTION: Your search will probably prove more productive if you move this Discussion to the Basses £ section and add “WTB:” to the beginning of its title.
    What woods are the bodies of those guitars you recommend above made of ?
  • Thanks chaps. The Peavey looks good.

At this point in time getting hold of it may be an issue for me, so if anyone else is keen on it don't let me stop you.

The HB also looks good to me. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    It's going to be very hard to beat that Harley Benton. I was going to say that you can find perfectly functional distributor-brand P-Bass copies like Stagg and Westfield for between £75 and £100, but that's actually new for the same amount...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The HB is my sort of style as is the Peavey - something Fenderish without the price tag. While I am quite particular when it comes to six-strings all I want from a bass is the notes :)

Given my capabilities I doubt anyone would be criticising my choice of brand.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Mudcrutch said:
    What woods are the bodies of those guitars you recommend above made of ?
    I cannot imagine the Ibanez or Peavey being made from anything special.

Yamaha budget bass guitars tend to be solid - either Alder or Basswood. Some satin natural finish models are Nato. In this Discussion, they are probably over budget.

ICBM said:
    It's going to be very hard to beat that Harley Benton.
    Can’t argue with that EXCEPT that the H-B PB20 might benefit from some detailed fettling to get it fully playable.

all I want from a bass is the notes :)
    This will soon change. Otherwise, Bridgehouse will kick yo’ ass. ;)
    Be seeing you.