Best string winder / cutter

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
edited December 2020 in Guitar
As titled - what do you use and do you like it? 

I have a couple of Planet Waves ones. One is excellent (bottom of image below), but I've had it about 15 years and the cutter is getting a bit dull. The second (top of image below) I've had maybe half as long. It's fine and maybe slightly more sturdy, but it's less comfortable to hold and you can't use the cutter one-handed as the handles cross over each other so you can't get them apart.

The one in the second image looks like a return to more like the one I like, though the peg-puller looks a bit shitty. But I wonder if there's anything else on the market that has winder, cutter and bridge-pin-puller. Any ideas?

Not my image, but these are the ones I have:

Updated model: 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18686
    Out of curiosity I just checked and I seem to have yet another version of the Planet Waves tool.
    I still use the smoother rounded 'original' one that you have also had for years, but in addition a couple of this type.

If you get stuck finding a new one, I'm happy to let you have one of these.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    Take two perfectly good and unrelated tools, and combine them into one awkward object which is less easy to use for either job... yes, I can see why they sell so well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Take two perfectly good and unrelated tools, and combine them into one awkward object which is less easy to use for either job... yes, I can see why they sell so well :).

Buy two tools . a good stringwinder and a pair of sidecutters which will do the job far better than the combined tool and will also get plenty of use for other tasks.

We do keep the D'Addario one too but strongly fel that the two tool option is better

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    To a professional, the specific tool approach makes perfect sense.
    However, to a mere mortal not blessed with a dedicated workshop space, having to locate the cutters amid boxes of other stored tools, then also dig out a separate winder?
    All this for every once in a while when a string change is needed.  I'll take the combined tool approach every time thanks.
    As ever, circumstances alter cases  ;)
  • I like the planet waves combined one, the cutter is better than most pliers I’ve had and the winder works just fine. I use the ‘updated’ model last in the OP. It’s brilliant.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Music Nomad jobby +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Fingers and a wire cutter.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I have the planet waves one and it’s great!
  • ICBM said:

If like me you practically never use tools for anything else and are not good at organised storage the beauty of the string winder/cutter is you only have to find one damn thing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I knew someone would recommend separate tools, but thats a bit annoying. I already have a decent set of side cutters but don’t want to get those out of the toolbox just to do a string change. I’m just after something I can chuck in a guitar case or box of strings.

Will mostly try the newest PW one - it’s not like it costs much
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Is there a string winder that doesn't crash into the curved headstock shape of a Les Paul ?  I have an old plastic 'Gibson' one. My headstock has all the scars and scrapes from previous ownership where the winder has hit the headstock.
  • Is there a string winder that doesn't crash into the curved headstock shape of a Les Paul ?  I have an old plastic 'Gibson' one. My headstock has all the scars and scrapes from previous ownership where the winder has hit the headstock.
    Try the Music Nomad winder!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I just use a mid-range string winder (I think one's Fender branded, the other came with a generic maintenance kit) and a half-decent pair of side-cutters (as oppsed to the crappy end-on ones that came with the maintenance kit!).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22740
    edited December 2020

I've got a Fender "Cruz Tools" kit somewhere that I've never opened.  I wonder if that includes a string winder and/or cutter?  Presumably it must do.

(Yes, I know I could go and find it and look, but... meh.)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited December 2020
    I use a regular wire cutter, then wind the strings by hand.  It's slow but I found myself keep slipping if I use a string winder.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Sassafras said:
    Fingers and a wire cutter.
    Fuck me! Remind me not to cross you!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^  Ronnie & Reggie would always stay out of his way...