Gibson Reissues and 50s wiring

What's Hot
Do R9 LPs come with 50s or modern wiring? wondering what my 2008 has as stock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7011
    tFB Trader
    You could check.

If the capacitor is connected to the middle lug of the volume control, that's "50s" wiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You could check.

If the capacitor is connected to the middle lug of the volume control, that's "50s" wiring.
    Cheers, will do

• so i guess thats 50s then?
    and are those bumblebee caps?

tFB Trader
    Yes and yes.

I think that the Gibson "bumblebees" are not proper paper in oil but a modern capacitor in a plastic case. At least they used to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes and yes.

I think that the Gibson "bumblebees" are not proper paper in oil but a modern capacitor in a plastic case. At least they used to be.
    Thanks, any "improvement" to be had swapping those caps for proper paper in oil?
    tFB Trader
    None at all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • None at all!
    ta mate, have some wiz
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 160
    edited January 2021
    How’s this for confusion... my R9 Murphy with real deal silly price ‘bees and the mysterious Black Rose wiring ( look it up). It has little practical value but I convinced myself it sounded better wired this way . I’ve flipped the photo as it’s a lefty ( pot cases will read oddly) and to mimic your photo orientation.
    a fool and his money ..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    edited January 2021
    What you have there is a variation of ‘modern’ wiring - with the tone control connected to the pickup, not the output of the volume control.

The order of the components and connections in the tone circuit makes no difference, it’s purely where it’s connected on the volume pot that matters.

Personally I think ‘modern’ wiring sounds better than ‘50s’ wiring, for several reasons [/heresy ;)], so it doesn’t surprise me that you like it .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Mike58Mike58 Frets: 160
    Oh yes , I know it’s the modern wiring with a subtle and electrically identical twist and therefore can’t be any good.... but ( and I may be burned at the stake ) it gets worse... there are 300k vol pots in there....
    Mike58 said:
    Oh yes , I know it’s the modern wiring with a subtle and electrically identical twist and therefore can’t be any good.... but ( and I may be burned at the stake ) it gets worse... there are 300k vol pots in there....
    Whatever works for you :).

I also like 250K volume pots with a lot of humbuckers, especially underwound PAF types which I find quite shrill otherwise [/more heresy!].

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Unrelated to op but the pots on my R9 are pretty stiff, don't mind this on the tones but its pain in the arse on the vols, not helped by the smooth knobs and thumb bleeders.
    Is there a better smoother easier to turn pot i can replace these vols pots with?
    adampeter said:
    Unrelated to op but the pots on my R9 are pretty stiff, don't mind this on the tones but its pain in the arse on the vols, not helped by the smooth knobs and thumb bleeders.
    Is there a better smoother easier to turn pot i can replace these vols pots with?
    Modern CTS are pretty loose, but I would have expected it to be those anyway...

Try contact cleaner in them - that will often thin excessive grease in the bushing which is usually what makes them stiff.

ICBM said:
    adampeter said:
    Modern CTS are pretty loose, but I would have expected it to be those anyway...

Try contact cleaner in them - that will often thin excessive grease in the bushing which is usually what makes them stiff.
    Yeah i thought that they would be modern CTS as well, i will try a bit of cleaner as suggested
    Seem to remember that EVH uses super low friction pots in their guitars, may have to do a bit of research
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    +1 for modern wiring. I can't standard the way everything interacts on the middle position with 50s wiring. 

I'm a fan of Emerson or BKP CTS 550k pots for Gibsons
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    adampeter said:
    Seem to remember that EVH uses super low friction pots in their guitars, may have to do a bit of research
    They're just regular Bourns pots rebadged. £3 or so each from RS Components
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    adampeter said:
    They're just regular Bourns pots rebadged. £3 or so each from RS Components
    nice one, cheers