Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those who remember Musical Exchanges Birmingham in the ‘80’s.

What's Hot
This will be interesting news...

https://fb.watch/26mVRAl5ii/

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    wow - I knew Gary had left PMT - did not expect this - Thought he had just retired - A great bloke and very popular 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha !

I thought Garry was still at PMT.... mind you, the ‘new’ PMT Store in Bham is miles from anywhere and looks like a failure to me...

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Ha !

I thought Garry was still at PMT.... mind you, the ‘new’ PMT Store in Bham is miles from anywhere and looks like a failure to me...

Agreed...it's like CostCo without the charm. 
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited December 2020
    Yeah the new PMT is a bit naff.

I always liked Garry. Even if he did sell one of my gigbags from behind the counter when I took my bass in to try amps.

Hopefully he sorts out Fair Deal too. Last time I went there the snotty bratty teenage girl there asked me to leave the store because (and I quote) "you can't keep touching all the guitars because they're too expensive for you and you'll break one". Admittedly this was about 3 years ago, but I've made a point to avoid the place since.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Its goodnight from me, and its goodnight from him...  the 2 Gazzes ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited December 2020
    I remember Musical Exchanges well. I think I set the record for the longest time spent in the shop being ignored by the staff. About three hours, I think, but I'm sure there are other contenders.
    Call me Dave.
  • Maybe I'm biased, but The Little Guitar Shop is all Brum needs ;)
    Actually not been to Fair Deal since they moved. Never liked it there, but admittedly have warmed to the staff more since doing shows. PMT can get in the bin.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited December 2020
    I like both Fair Deal and PMT in Birmingham. I've met Garry and thought he was a good character.

I found Express Music and The Little Guitar Shop very odd.
  • Used to love Musical Exchanges back in the day...bought loads of stuff in there. That little cove of second hand goodies was always worth a cheeky look. Not been to the new PMT since it moved (though I live nowhere near now so not surprising!). 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31477
    DB1 said:
    I remember Musical Exchanges well. I think I set the record for the longest time spent in the shop being ignored by the staff. About three hours, I think, but I'm sure there are other contenders.
    I once went in there with 500 quid in cash to buy an amp, on the way to the ferry to a series of gigs in France. 

I wasn't in a rush, I had an hour or so to spare, but totally failed to get served at all. It was a deafening racket of teenagers playing Nirvana riffs on three grand guitars and I was told to "wait a minute chap" by three different bored looking staff. 

I'm not an attention whore rock star (at least not while shopping), but not a shrinking violet either, I just wanted someone to put their magazine down and take my money. 

I told the manager he was a dickhead, and bought an amp in Cherbourg in a great little shop which was actually cheaper. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7818
    I don’t have Facebook, can’t ready it. 
    Brief summary?
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    I've bought a couple of guitars from there over the years.  About 10 years ago, they refused to deal with a warranty issue that needed a dealer to send the guitar back to Yamaha - citing that it was user damage (fretboard binding peeling), so I haven't been back since.  Sheehan's in Leicester helped me out in the end, and I didn't even buy the guitar from them.  Miss those guys... 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    TheMarlin said:
    I don’t have Facebook, can’t ready it. 
    Brief summary?
    Fair Deal Music. It’s open. Come on down. Two guys gooning about..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TheMarlin said:
    I don’t have Facebook, can’t read it. 
    Brief summary?
    Back in the mists of time, Musical Exchanges was THE regional emporium for everything sexy guitar-wise. In short, the vid features two mainstay ex-staff members (Garry Chapman and Gaz Morris), now reunited at Fair Deal Music in Birmingham.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7818
    TheMarlin said:
    I don’t have Facebook, can’t read it. 
    Brief summary?
    Back in the mists of time, Musical Exchanges was THE regional emporium for everything sexy guitar-wise. In short, the vid features two mainstay ex-staff members (Garry Chapman and Gaz Morris), now reunited at Fair Deal Music in Birmingham.

Ah. Ok. Thanks. I grew up in Birminghsm, and have bought several guitars & amps from Musical Exchanges.  I always found the staff there more desperate to show you their personal lick library than sell you anything. 

My only regret is not buying the Fender Mustang they had on sale for £80!
  • My memories of MX are pretty vague, it was this famous, interesting place. I bought my Laney LC50 there, although it may have been one of the later incarnations of the store ( Reverb for a bit and something else?).   
    The Gaz with the shaggy hair lives somewhere near me and MrsTheWeary knew his wife and met him a couple of times. 
    Fair Deal always had truly terrible customer service ( just rude, more bothered about showing off licks than selling); I suspect that GuitarGuitar with actually helpful staff gave them a bit of a kick up the arse.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I think with any music shop, it's pot luck any time you go in as to whether you'll get good service or leave shaking your head. PMT have been the most diverse for me. I've been in there and just not every been served, and one time I was refused a pack of strings unless I gave my address.

I really like the new fair deal. Bought an old piano from there, which was nice.
  • Was Musical Exchanges what eventually became Reverb? The one in Snow Hill?

If so then yeah that's where 13 year old me spunked all his birthday money on a bass he barely played for the next 5 years.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Oh, MX how I miss you.  I bought a s/h Eggle from them for £400 - what a berk I was, selling that...

LOVED that shop, was gutted when it closed.

With Gaz moving from PMT, I wonder if he knows something about the viability of the company that we don't? 

I was very disappointed with the new store, delighted with the parking but that was about it - the layout (one massive room) just doesn't work, gets too noisy and has no vibe.  Leave the shiny newness to guitarguitar and their ilk and go for the Alladin's Cave / sticky floor vibe...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, MX how I miss you.  I bought a s/h Eggle from them for £400 - what a berk I was, selling that...

LOVED that shop, was gutted when it closed.

With Gaz moving from PMT, I wonder if he knows something about the viability of the company that we don't? 

I was very disappointed with the new store, delighted with the parking but that was about it - the layout (one massive room) just doesn't work, gets too noisy and has no vibe.  Leave the shiny newness to guitarguitar and their ilk and go for the Alladin's Cave / sticky floor vibe...
    Oh I bought my Eggle from MX, forgotten that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.