Please recommend an acoustic for a 14 year old

What's Hot
As it says. Cheap is good.
She wants to have a go and I don’t have an acoustic at all.

Not crap though, don’t want to put her off.

I know nothing about acoustic guitars at any price point.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Full size or 3/4?

I would go for a used Yamaha F310. Loads around, cheap and Yamaha are the kings of entry level stuff 

Worry about funding a J45 later
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    I have two acoustics and an electro-acoustic.  My 'go to' is my 3/4 size 'baby Taylor'. Easy to pick up, weighs next to nothing, sounds good, looks good and would definitely go down the 3/4 route if I was buying a first acoustic for a 14yo
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited December 2020
    Aim for a solid wood top, solid back/sides is ideal but I wouldn't call that a must-have especially for a beginner. Unless the kid has unusually big hands/fingers, seriously consider a Gibson/Epiphone type 24.75" short scale.

A good solid top, laminated back/sides acoustic new could cost anywhere from $350-$600 in the US (whatever that is in £).  If I were to buy one right now, the Epiphone EJ-160e is currently listed at 15% off $499 (i.e. about $400) and, if I really felt that I needed an acoustic I would buy it without hesitation and it would be a really good, fair price for that guitar.

If I strayed into the >$600 range, I would start to be more selective about getting an all-solid body unless the tone and feel of the guitar was just that good otherwise.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited December 2020
    Vintage V300, either spruce top or mahogany. It has a small body, midway between a parlour and a OM, but full scale length, and the neck isn't huge. The spruce one is probably a more conventional fingerpicker's guitar, the mahogany one (which I've got) is a good bluesy flatpicker or strummer. Under £200 new, and not just good for that price, just good.

I've fitted mine with a soundhole pickup and it actually sounds very good for retro slightly-overdriven bluesy electric guitar too. I should probably put some Monel strings on it which would make it even better...

I also have a Little Martin which my 14-year-old daughter seems to have adopted, but it's really quite small - travel-size body, 23" scale - she does have small hands though. Probably less ideal if you want something you can 'borrow' as well ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    Good call by ICBM and Shrews on the smaller bodied options.  I'm all about the full size dreadnoughts so I didn't even think about that.

I hear nothing but good things about the Big Baby Taylors, which seem to pop up used at good prices around me somewhat regularly.  Vintage also, although that's an almost unheard of brand in the US.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    This is the very lightweight 3/4 Baby Taylor next to the much heavier Fender Hellcat Electro. I think a 14yo is much more likely to pick up and play a 3/4, and this does have a nice sound to it (well, until I get hold of it!).

They look happy together don't they?  <3

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1392
    edited December 2020
    I bought my then 10 year old daughter a Baby Taylor and it looked too small for her even then. I would suggest it is too small as a serious guitar for a 14 year old, unless she is fairly small for her age. Something roughly equivalent in size to a Martin 00 would probably do the trick. Either way, I'd recommend something that has a scale in the normal range.

Incidentally, does it have to be an acoustic? I ended up buying my daughter an Affinity Strat when she was 11 and I think it suited her well. Much lighter strings (9-42) than on an acoustic, thinner (albeit heavier) body and no compromise on scale length.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some really valid comments here. I bought my son a Baby Taylor when he was 10, but it's pretty small on him now (he's 13). I gave him my Faith Venus (OM size, I think) a while back and he plays it without issue. I did get him a 3/4 size electric (and a cheap Blackstar amp) soon after the Baby Taylor and he played that more. He now has a full size Strat and Tele, both of which he plays more than his acoustic because he says they're 'easier'. I personally don't subscribe to the school of thought that kids should initially learn on an acoustic. A cheap Strat style guitar with a basic amp might be worth considering. If you do go for an acoustic, I reckon a full size, smaller bodied model, would suit a kid of your daughter's age.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    I got my then 14 year old daughter a Washburn harvester acoustic full size dreadnought after we tried all the acoustics in pmt for under £300 and it sounded the best. The size is no problem for her. 

She also has a tele which she had no size issues with. I would look at how it sounds and not worry so much about size. 
    My 14-year-old daughter is taller than me, by the way!

OK, I am a ridiculously small bloke... :)

(And her hands are still smaller than mine.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    +1 for a Vintage V300. The "Starter Kit" package is available for under £200 right now and includes a gig bag, tuner etc ..

Shameless Plug >> HERE
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    @ICBM recommended an amp for metal over on another thread. Turns out it was a Vintage V300

(Joke)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    I bought my then 10 year old daughter a Baby Taylor and it looked too small for her even then. I would suggest it is too small as a serious guitar for a 14 year old, unless she is fairly small for her age. Something roughly equivalent in size to a Martin 00 would probably do the trick. Either way, I'd recommend something that has a scale in the normal range.

Incidentally, does it have to be an acoustic? I ended up buying my daughter an Affinity Strat when she was 11 and I think it suited her well. Much lighter strings (9-42) than on an acoustic, thinner (albeit heavier) body and no compromise on scale length.
    Definitely has to be acoustic.
    I have plenty of electrics lying about the house and she's not interested.

She's a great singer and she wants something to accompany the vocal and to start writing songs.
  • Nobody recommended a GS Mini yet? Extremely playable for the small of hands/body and a sound you won’t grow out of. Much better sound and a more normal size than the Baby Taylor. There’s also the Taylor Big Baby which is a full-scale guitar with a 15/16 dreadnought body.
    Cheap is a relative term but if she shows zero interest in electrics I’d be nervous to spend more than £100 on the experiment. Surely you don’t want to be lumbered with a £500 guitar to have to get rid of
    Ideally I don't want to go over £150. Maybe a smidge more if the quality step up is worth it.

I'm shuddering at the thought of the school nylon strings from my youth!
    Andy79 said:
    @ICBM recommended an amp for metal over on another thread. Turns out it was a Vintage V300

(Joke)
    lol

Only because I was really impressed by the quality of mine - but a lot of people have never heard of them or associate them with cheap electric guitars.

It wouldn’t be a bad guitar for £300-£400, but for under £200 new it’s amazing.

Ideally I don't want to go over £150. Maybe a smidge more if the quality step up is worth it.
    It is :). Or look for a second hand one, which should be in the £100-£125 range roughly.

• malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited December 2020

I'm shuddering at the thought of the school nylon strings from my youth!
    Vintage is quite a good brand in that price bracket, or maybe you could look for a Recording King 000 second hand.
    I would definitely avoid the Baby Taylor!
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3663
    edited December 2020
    Hard to go wrong with a Yamaha FG.  

An FG800 might be at top of your price range but would be a lifetime player.  Solid spruce top.

Best thing at that age, is go on a hunt and try a few together until she finds the one.  That will be important memory of you and her.
    I would love to do that but Covid does not make that easy!