I read the news today, oh boy... John Lennon, December 8th 1980

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
Forty years ago I was walking to school in the morning, and passed a newsagent... the board outside read “Ex-Beatle Shot Dead”. It must have been on the 9th in fact, since it was in the evening of the 8th in New York when he was killed - but that image has remained frozen in my mind ever since.

It still seems quite recent to me, but in a few weeks it will be longer since he died than he was alive. Still a young man really - who knows how much more he would have given us... I was 13 then, and at that point only a little aware of his music, but I soon became a fan and will always be.

RIP 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Dec 9th 1980 was my first time seeing Queen and they played Imagine in tribute to Lennon.
    hard to believe it was 40 years ago

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Dec 9th 1980 was my first time seeing Queen and they played Imagine in tribute to Lennon.
    hard to believe it was 40 years ago

Jonathan, I was at that show, too, and it was very moving to see hear Freddie singing that.

RIP JL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was 13, had got up and got ready for school, walked downstairs and my mum said "Have you heard about John Lennon?"  I was and still am a big Beatles and Lennon fan and it was quite a shock.  And to happen then when he'd just got his music career going again, there would have been much more to come from him.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited December 2020
    I was 16 and heard the news on Piccadilly radio announced by Gary Davis - who went on to work for Radio 1. I loved the Beatles - this was my first experience of loss - albeit vicariously. I was (without wishing to overstate) devastated.

‘Starting Over’ was the single which was out at the time of his death and - for me - a frankly disappointing return. Of course one of the things we lost when he was killed was the rest of his career. Who knows what else he would have done? Good, bad or indifferent, I’d have loved to have found out.

RIP John Winston Ono Lennon - and thank you for the music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    RIP Winston O'Boogie !

Shook me far more than Elvis - much closer to home/age/upbringing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I can't actually remember the moment I heard the news, but I remember walking to 6th form and buying a paper (actually think it was SOUNDS) and the cover was all white with a small square portrait of John in the middle. I still have it somewhere. By coincidence, it was at the time when I really got into the Beatles. They were all I listened to for a while at that point.

My interest in him has faded over the years. I didn't really care for his solo career (apart from a couple of songs), and it seems like he was a pretty unpleasant bloke, which has coloured my opinion somewhat.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I was living in a bedsit at the time and I found out about it, courtesy of the radio alarm clock waking me up at 8am (I was a bit more laid-back in those days) with the BBC new presenter booming out 'John Lennon is dead'.

Years later, I was trying to explain to my kids the impact that that murder had around the western world. 'Not bigger than Michael Jackson dying, surely'? 'Yes, bigger than that'.

9/11 was bigger (I think - anyone feel different?) but this sent reverberations around the world as well.

I wasn't a fan after his Beatles days (much preferred Macca and Wings) but I did like the thought of his comeback and Starting Over. It was a huge shock to hear about his death, and the manner of it, I think, was the real bombshell.
    Call me Dave.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Just been listening to 'Lennon: A week in the life' on R4. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sg77z
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I moved to New York in June 1980, and one of my new friends called me at midnight to let me know he had been shot.  I was not really ever a big Beatles fan (much preferring the Stones), but John Lennon was always my favorite of the Beatles and I liked his solo stuff too.  I didn't go to any of the mourning events though.

Back then, with my Yorkshire accent, I got asked if I was from Liverpool at lot.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    DB1 said:
    I was living in a bedsit at the time and I found out about it, courtesy of the radio alarm clock waking me up at 8am (I was a bit more laid-back in those days) with the BBC new presenter booming out 'John Lennon is dead'.

Years later, I was trying to explain to my kids the impact that that murder had around the western world. 'Not bigger than Michael Jackson dying, surely'? 'Yes, bigger than that'.

9/11 was bigger (I think - anyone feel different?) but this sent reverberations around the world as well.

I wasn't a fan after his Beatles days (much preferred Macca and Wings) but I did like the thought of his comeback and Starting Over. It was a huge shock to hear about his death, and the manner of it, I think, was the real bombshell.
    Not even close to the impact of 9/11, but certainly greater than the death of any other musician I can remember. I think the manner of his death had a lot to do with it, as well as who he was.

It's also worth remembering Dimebag Darrell, also tragically murdered on this same date :(. I wasn't a fan, but that still shocked me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    ICBM said:
    It's also worth remembering Dimebag Darrell, also tragically murdered on this same date :(. I wasn't a fan, but that still shocked me.
    I hadn't realised it was the same date.  And 16 years already!
  • Yoko doesn’t look any older...

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Yoko doesn’t look any older...
    She does now. But to be fair, she is 87.

I thought she was pretty good at Glastonbury - that was in 2014, so she must have been 81...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yoko doesn’t look any older...
    She does now. But to be fair, she is 87.

I thought she was pretty good at Glastonbury - that was in 2014, so she must have been 81...
    Interestingly, I have delved into her back catalog recently and found some decent tracks.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Caffeine_Vampire said:

Interestingly, I have delved into her back catalog recently and found some decent tracks.
    Yes, it’s not all the shrieking atonal noise stuff she’s most notorious for - she can actually sing when she wants to. It is always more performance art than music, but she’s not as unlistenable as often thought.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I recall driving into work that day around 8am - Had Radio 1 on - And at this moment in time they just played a medley of JL songs - With no comments by any DJ - So I never thought anything of it - Maybe his birthday ( I'd probably forgot he was 40 a few days earlier) - It was only just as I arrived at work the DJ told us why he'd played that medley - Wow - What a shock - I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing 

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    I remember it was icy day, so half the kids were skidding down the slope to the school,playground on their school bags, and the other half standing at the top talking about Lennon

• I still have my copy of John Lennon - The Life & Legend - Sunday Times Magazine, worth fuck all :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1935
    I don't really recall it but I wasn't really ever a Beatles fan. I did like the Shaved Fish album though for some odd reason. I did like Wings too and thought that was the high water mark for McCartney. He's embarrassingly bad now and should have given up music years ago. His voice has completely gone. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I was 16, I'd have been in school, Lower 6th.  I can remember it being a shocking story but I can't remember how I actually heard about it.  It wouldn't have been something my parents talked about, they had no interest at all in pop music.

I do remember walking past a pub once and somebody shouting "it's John Lennon's son".  I did have long hair and glasses.  I guess it was not long after he died.