Duo-sonic rebuild

What's Hot
I just got an old body of mine back after 9 years. and its in a bit of a state.  We decided to trade it back for a re-fret he needed.

This was before i was doing my own spraying and using nitro for most things

i had issues getting a good desert sand mixed at the time, and had been experimenting with different paints.   My cousin was doing some spraying for me and was keen to use 2k for speed. I wasn't keen, but  we had some desert sand mixed up, but it was far too dark and grey. 

In the end i think we ended up getting some rattle cans off the shelf, likely from Halfords, in the closest shade we could find.  Admittedly we went straight over the 2k, once it was fully cured.  I have had the same issues on older builds that didn't have the 2K undercoat so i don't think that was the issue here.  The paint was looking great when it left, after a bloody long time curing, it passed the fingernail test fine.... but its not held up well.  Thought I would show what happens to halfords paint after 9 years of use. 

Its covered in gig bag imprint like this

The back has discolored significantly from rubbing against clothes

Both strap buttons look like this

But i still like the build. As usual, i mixed things up a bit. It's the later offset duo-sonic shape with the earlier style scratch plate, and spaced out controls for strat style pinky swells

I could probably cope with the wear, but not the imprints

So now I get to strip it and refinish it in something fun, I'm still undecided what that colour will be.

I'm also tempted to do something fun like build a baritone conversion neck for it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    looked like this when new

Which was unintentionally a bit like Rory Gallagher's modded musicmaster

spent a bit of lunch with some thinners which got my back to the 2k "definitely not desert sand" finish underneath.

I have to say, i'm not mad at it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I like the 2K finish. Would suit a tortious shell pickguard/single humbucker/P90 maybe?
    I think I will stick with black for the guard, but maybe change to single ply.

Pickup options are a bit random

A dual foil bridge

CC style tele pickup in bridge or neck

Both those together

Or I also have a pair of old Dimarzio's going spare if i want to be a bit more conventional

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    H/S or 'Tron/S would be interesting. 

Might be worth canvassing the opinions of @HarrySeven about his modified Musicmaster. (A Rails bridge position pickup may have been involved.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    What about the goldfoil and the tele the other way round (tele bridge, gf neck)?
    PhilKing said:
    What about the goldfoil and the tele the other way round (tele bridge, gf neck)?
    I had it that way in another guitar and didn't like it.  The GF totally overpowered the CC tele.   It would also mean a redesign of the plate shape 
  • Personally I dig the Dimarzios, but that's just me! Maybe one of those with the CC in the neck?
    Personally I dig the Dimarzios, but that's just me! Maybe one of those with the CC in the neck?
    got to admit, it is working for me too.   Not sure with the CC

this is why the GF won't go in the neck.... its massive

oooh.  I think i have a rick toaster style pickup somewhere.... might see how that looks
  • I want to build a Futurama clone (my dad has an original, like George’s) but with 3 angled tele bridge pickups.... could be cool?
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    Maybe just a frackin toaster in the bridge

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    WezV said:
    Maybe just a frackin toaster in the bridge

That is cool 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    On reflection, the wittiest choice of non-Fender pickups for a Duo-Sonic might be two Dyna-Sonic clones with baseplate height adjustment screw lugs. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On reflection, the wittiest choice of non-Fender pickups for a Duo-Sonic might be two Dyna-Sonic clones with baseplate height adjustment screw lugs. 
    The aim is to use some of the fun stuff I have in, rather than buy more.   But I like your thinking
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    edited December 2020
    Whilst I'm making plates, this has got a new one made in thin single ply black, routed for the dual foil

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Now that’s very tasty indeed ! 
    Yeah, I'm liking it so far.   I decided to keep it all really simple to show off the single massive pickup.   

I will probably put a series/split/parallel switch in it as that's the best way to get the most out of the dual foil I think.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I can't help thinking that having that pickup in the middle of the scratch plate would be pretty cool.  Halfway between the bridge and the neck.