Composition Challenge #31

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 1287
edited January 20 in Making Music
Time for round #31 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
Just compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously.
Feel free if you want to create your own theme.
Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 8th March 2021
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

I'll post the entries below as they arrive:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-31

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 4361
    I'll chip in. Something on a kazoo?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 259
    Snap said:
    I have one ... I challenge you to a kazoo duel
    Snap said:
    ha, or an ocarina? or Jew's Harp (are we still allowed to call it that?)
    edited January 5
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    Careful now....I may just have to dust off my old ocarina specifically for this challenge. 3rd place in Swindon's talent show in 2001 I'll have you know   

seriously though I may just have to incorporate the kazoo somehow just for a laugh. will be interesting to see you fit one in one of your dark electro tracks. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 931
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    Last time I played an ocarina, my granddaughter passed on chicken pox.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 26
    Ocarina makes me think of a weird Spanish dance
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 1287
    Habanero said:
    Ocarina makes me think of a weird Spanish dance

I think that might be Macarena. Which is now a cue for jokes about maracas.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 6

...and another entry in the playlist.
    Correction. Posted in error. I meant to post this in the SotM thread.
    It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 5334

Where’s the playlist?
    poopot said:

Where’s the playlist?
    Oops I got confused with the SotM thread. Ignore that.,

It's not a competition.
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    Careful now....I may just have to dust off my old ocarina specifically for this challenge. 3rd place in Swindon's talent show in 2001 I'll have you know   

seriously though I may just have to incorporate the kazoo somehow just for a laugh. will be interesting to see you fit one in one of your dark electro tracks. 
    ha, now there is a challenge. Kazoo plus distortion plus crusher - you've got an excellent nasty drone!
    Strange how one can get distracted. Over the past couple of days I've spent a good few hours with Massive X, working out how to get sounds like an Ocarina, Kazoo and Jaw Harp (I think that's the safe term). At least I've learned a lot more about programming Massive X.

Now the challenge is whether I can weave the sounds into a composition.

It's not a competition.
    Excellent stuff mate. I'll be getting the upgrade to Ultimate 13 at some point, so will be able to have a look at Massive X.

I've done a track for the latest challenge. I'm just working on the final mix, debating a couple of things to add in. Might use Action Strikes, not used it at all yet.

Its the usual, dark moody affair, usual uplifting stuff!

J
    edited January 19
    I've got an idea for an entry for this, and this morning ordered a kazoo...
    Habanero said:
    I've got an idea for an entry for this, and this morning ordered a kazoo...

That's dedication.

It's not a competition.

That's dedication.

I've ordered a tin one, and knowing my luck will discover I'm allergic and end up with lips like a footballers' wife.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited January 25
    Snap said:
    Excellent stuff mate. I'll be getting the upgrade to Ultimate 13 at some point, so will be able to have a look at Massive X.

I'll update K12 Ultimate to K13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, when it's on offer. I'll probably get Omnisphere as well at some point, having heard the sounds in your creations.

As I'm starting to run out of hard drive space, I was worried about the pain of moving all my libraries to a new bigger drive. So I did a bit of Googling and found an answer to my question (link below), which was actually asked by me about 4 years ago It's scary what you forget.

It's not a competition.
    I'm waiting for the 13 offer too. I started with 9 ultimate, and got the upgrade to 11 ultimate on offer for about 160 quid, so if can get similar for 13, that will be great. Bargain IMO. 
    Omnisphere is a constant revelation mate. I love it. I've not even mastered audio import yet, which looks a bit mind blowing too.
    Track sent! Good luck to everyone who gets involved this time round, cheers
    J
    Snap said:
    Track sent! Good luck to everyone who gets involved this time round, cheers
    J

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 20
    I've come up with a melody, but now I think I've heard somewhere before. I tried Shazam but it didn't come up with any hits so I suppose I'll go with it for now.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 22
    Great stuff @Snap Reminded me of the soundtrack to a cyberpunk thriller.

I was wondering if you lot do this for a living, because the production standards are next level from wot I’ve heard in previous competitions.

anyway, struggling to come up any inspiration on the kazoo, so I’m switching tact and starting with the guitar. 
    :) 
    My kazoo has just arrived, and will now begin self isolating for a few days before I dare put it in my mouth. =)

I was wondering if you lot do this for a living, because the production standards are next level from wot I’ve heard in previous competitions.

anyway, struggling to come up any inspiration on the kazoo, so I’m switching tact and starting with the guitar.  :) 
    thanks! I've really been trying to up my game when it comes to mixing tbh. Late 2019 I spent a day in a professional studio and learnt some things that really helped me, especially when it comes to eq. I think mixing is maybe the hardest part. Resisting the urge to add another layer, or turn something up.
    Mine's in the playlist. With an attempt at a Jaw Harp, Kazoo and Ocarina from Massive X :)

I'll try to sort out a picture later.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 very cool mate. Seamless inclusion of jaw's harp & ocarina! I like the main guitar riff tone, meaty. Drums sound good too.
  • Mine's in the playlist. With an attempt at a Jaw Harp, Kazoo and Ocarina from Massive X :)

I'll try to sort out a picture later.

Pffft....too good. Some quality chops you have there - I like the pinch harmonics, as well as the modern style production. Sounds huge. 
    edited January 26
    Snap said:

anyway, struggling to come up any inspiration on the kazoo, so I’m switching tact and starting with the guitar.   
    thanks! I've really been trying to up my game when it comes to mixing tbh. Late 2019 I spent a day in a professional studio and learnt some things that really helped me, especially when it comes to eq. I think mixing is maybe the hardest part. Resisting the urge to add another layer, or turn something up.
    Cool, that must have been awesome. Do you work in the music industry? Feel free to share your newly gained wisdom. I've only been doing this for just over a year, and perhaps the biggest EQ lesson I've learnt is to always consider the composition itself as the mix, so everything has it's own spot and doesn't clash. This way the final mixing stage is more of a refinement. A lot harder in practice though.