Behringer BDI21 query

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
I have one of these that I use for recording direct to DAW, not least because I have no bass amp.

Is it possible to use the XLR and the 1/4" outputs at the same time?

Turns out Friday night I'm going to need to play bass for some carols that are being recorded "live". I'll have access to an amp in the room (which I'll need to hear myself) but I know the chap running the desk (who isn't great) will want to DI the bass, which will sound utterly shit without a bit of pre-processing (it won't get any in post, the people who'll be doing that don't have the knowledge, and I'm not sticking my oar in).

If I can stuff the BDI21 in front of the amp and also take a feed to the desk, without having to acquire any additional kit, that would be quite handy. Unfortuantely I don't have anything here I can experiment with ahead of time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Yes, you can do that. I have one exactly for that sort of situation, and although I haven't had to use it for real yet, I've tested it at home.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Brilliant, thank you. I'll chuck it in the bag.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Yep, used it like that many a time. All works exactly as you'd want it to.
    It would be surprising if it wasn't a pretty good piece of kit, because the clue as to what it's a none-too-subtle copy of is in the name :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    It's something to do with bass. I don't pretend to have any knowledge or understand it, I only got one because @Bridgehouse said they were OK. It sat in the box for nearly a year until I needed it for some recording :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Snags said:
    It's something to do with bass. I don't pretend to have any knowledge or understand it, I only got one because @Bridgehouse said they were OK. It sat in the box for nearly a year until I needed it for some recording :)
    Yes, it's a copy. And it's very good - its extremely good value for money
    Snags said:

It sat in the box for nearly a year until I needed it for some recording :)
    Mine does too, but for what it cost it's the perfect sits-in-a-box-until-you-need-it-one-day solution. Buying it was inspired by a situation at a gig where the soundman appeared to have no idea how to DI a bass amp, so used the input signal to the amp instead, with the result that the sound on stage bore no relation to the out-front sound at all... probably not helped by my fuzz pedal which was then effectively going straight into the PA ;).

Or worse, that possibly the awful buzzy racket coming out of the wedge monitor was representative of what the audience were hearing as well! At least with this, I can set the stage amp 'flat' and dial the sound in using the BDI21, so there's some hope the two might be similar.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    It's a near perfect copy of the Mk1 of the thing. The Mk2 has a mid control now (at last).

The only thing that is a bit shabby about the copy is the footswitch. It's a bit crap and can fail.
    But if it's being used in place of an amp or an always-on tone maker then so what. Could buy 10 of the Behringer ones for the price of a new proper one!

The only thing that is a bit shabby about the copy is the footswitch. It's a bit crap and can fail.
    But if it's being used in place of an amp or an always-on tone maker then so what.
    Exactly. If mine ever does, I'll hardwire it to on... the way I intend to use it, there's no need to ever turn it off.

edited December 2020
    Just noticed they are only £21 on Amazon at the moment.
    I'm going to get a spare!!

SCRATCH THAT - for some reason it won't let me order to my address. Why?
  • Just noticed they are only £21 on Amazon at the moment.

I've got the same problem. A quick look at other stockists seems to suggest that the only supplier with stock Is Thomann with other places not getting new stock in until January. I guess the issue is Amazon saying it is in stock when it isn't and the problem only gets resolved when you try to buy one.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Nothing to do with Brexit of course ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seymour1 said:
    Just noticed they are only £21 on Amazon at the moment.

I've got the same problem. A quick look at other stockists seems to suggest that the only supplier with stock Is Thomann with other places not getting new stock in until January. I guess the issue is Amazon saying it is in stock when it isn't and the problem only gets resolved when you try to buy one.
    I went through it with Amazon customer service yesterday. Tried loads of things. Ultimately they tell me it's a website tech issue and not stock issue.

They've logged it as a ticket and told me it might take the website team a week to get to it, but that I should try again then to buy it, and if not go through customer service again.
  • It’s basically a bass sans amp ,very well thought of