Gibson j185 vs faith Venus shootout

What's Hot
gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
edited December 2020 in Acoustics
https://youtu.be/1_pi1nR7PT0

a bit dramatic with my title maybe but as head to head as I can manage with my old (but newer) faith Venus against my new (but probably classed as vintage) Gibson ec-30/j185 (technically the same model I believe)

the faith to my ears is very impressive, almost heartbreakingly so as I bloody love the Gibson!!!

your thoughts please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited December 2020
    That J-185 sounds great. Better than mine :(
  • jellyroll said:
    That J-185 sounds great. Better than mine :(
    Ha! It’s all in the fingers ;)

mine is actually an ec-30 blues king which is the model that morphed into the j185 as I understand it. It has a 1piece maple back. I’m not sure of the spec of a standard j185
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    They both sound great. The Gibson has mellowed like a fine wine - sounds as beautiful as it should - the Faith has maybe a little more "cut" - but either way for the money it's hard to miss with Faith, I really love them. Good stuff!
  • Whitecat said:
    They both sound great. The Gibson has mellowed like a fine wine - sounds as beautiful as it should - the Faith has maybe a little more "cut" - but either way for the money it's hard to miss with Faith, I really love them. Good stuff!
    Yeah I agree. I remember when I first got the faith and compared it with my Taylor, I was blown away and for it to hold its own with the Gibson is pretty impressive. 
    Not sure if it’s audible in the clips but it’s definitely got more high end than the Gibson (or the Gibson is mellower in other words)
  • The Faith sounds livelier to my ears which I prefer.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited December 2020
    The Gibson sounds far better to me. I'm really not a fan of that hollow, scooped-mids and zingy top-end sound of the Faith. It sounds OK when played with plain fingertips but as soon as there's the slightest bit of pick or nail attack it's way too brash. The Gibson is much fuller-sounding in the mids and softer at the top end.

I do think there's too much fret noise on both of them though - it could be the mic, but I suspect the action needs to go up slightly even on the Gibson.

(Edit - perhaps a bit harsh previously! I'm just not really a Faith fan though.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Gibson wins by a country mile !!
  • I think they both sound really good. I have a faith Neptune Trembessi and so I know Faiths well and know how good they are. I think @ICBM is right in that the difference is more obvious when strumming than picking. I think the Faith has a bit more of a brash top end, but then some people like that. The Gibson has the advantage of being older and therefore has aged - give the Faith another few years and I'm sure it will come into its own more. 
    If I had to choose I'd go for the Gibson, but for the money, the Faith is almost a no-brainer
  • I think they both sound really good. I have a faith Neptune Trembessi and so I know Faiths well and know how good they are. I think @ICBM is right in that the difference is more obvious when strumming than picking. I think the Faith has a bit more of a brash top end, but then some people like that. The Gibson has the advantage of being older and therefore has aged - give the Faith another few years and I'm sure it will come into its own more. 
    If I had to choose I'd go for the Gibson, but for the money, the Faith is almost a no-brainer
    Agree on all parts. The Gibson I think is staying as it’s a better investment. I got it at a good price and could sell for more than it owes me at any time and with time it’ll possibly be worth more and more. The faith is a perfectly adequate substitute but a less romantic option and for a grand or so less than the Gibson it’s an astonishing guitar.