R.I.P Gerard Houllier

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
edited December 2020 in Tributes
Sad day for liverpool fans. As a kid growing up during his time here i've many fond memories - the crazy crazy UEFA cup final vs Alaves, Michael Owen's double in the FA cup when we snatched the trophy from under the noses of the Gunners, the comeback vs Roma...

He had his flaws but was also very passionate for the club and set strong foundations for the future. 

Rest in Peace. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very sad, seemed a genuine nice guy, not many like him. Can’t have been that old? 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Zoolooter said:
    Very sad, seemed a genuine nice guy, not many like him. Can’t have been that old? 
    73 according to the beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55300386

With a history of heart difficulties.

RIP.

• Nitefly said:
    With a history of heart difficulties.

Yep, at one point he was giving tactical instructions to Phil Thompson from his hospital bed! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always said that if it wasn't for Houllier Liverpool would have gone the same way as the likes of Villa and Forest, they were floundering. Laid the foundations for what came later.
    Bless him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • A sad loss not just to us Reds fans but to football as a whole. Many happy memories
    RIP
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    He got Liverpool a great trophy haul, and everyone on the radio has been saying what a great guy he was. 

Nice little story from Danny Murphy:

The first trophy we won, I played every round in the League Cup and scored two in the semi at home - and then I did my medial ligament. I only tweaked it but I couldn't play in the final.

And then there were only medals for the lads who got stripped. We won on penalties, luckily. We shouldn't have won but we did and you're celebrating without really being too involved because you haven't played.

I didn't get a medal and I thought, "you know what it's not the end of the world, I'm not that big on medals anyway."

He (Houllier) said, "you haven't got a medal haven't you?" And I said, "No." So he took his off and gave me his. There and then. Now he (could have) done that as an afterthought a day or two later, but to actually acknowledge it there and then - he had that touch of class.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Guy was class!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.