Teaching an 8 Year Old

What's Hot
IndieeIndiee Frets: 13
edited December 2020 in Technique
Hello!   Hoping for a bit of advice please!

My 8 year old nephew was just loaned a guitar from school.  Was supposed to come with lessons but they seem to be off... So parents asked me to help teach him (in person over xmas then will be online).  Any clues where to start at such a young age?  it's a classical guitar as well, which I've never used.  I'll start with holding and playing something basic like 'mary had a little lamb' I guess?  would appreciate suggestion on a book for him too, as will need something for him to focus on without me to practice...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I've taught a 7 year old before. A half size classical is ideal as it won't hurt their fingers and the fret span is smaller. 

At that age they won't be able to tune it but will carry it about and knock it out of tune so you have to show them how to move it about without knocking the machine heads 

You will generally find at that age they can actually learn learn simple finger picking patterns surprisingly quickly. If you show them easy G (just one finger on the 3rd fret top E) and then play that note while playing the B and G strings as well then move the fretted G note to A and B on the E string they will be playing a little tune on the first lesson. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom