Caution - dont buy modded guitars

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
edited July 2014 in Guitar
So I bought a lovely AVRI Jag from a guy in the US from a forum called OSG. 
He had modded the guitar to take humbuckers and assured me it was reversable and all was well etc 

So I made my deal and she arrived

It plays brilliant, truly the best Jag neck I have ever played. The pickups weren't too bad actually (Gibson 490 and 491T or something). 
Anyway I have been playing it loads and decided it needed to go back to singles. No problem, I will order a new guard and some pups and get to it. 

So my pickups arrived today and I got to work

CHRIST ON A BIKE

Who in the name of all that is holy let this fucktard loose with a router?
A monkey would have done a tidier job after a bottle of Jagermeister. 

I cant believe someone would go at a £1500 guitar so ham fisted. What an utter bellend. 

So I had to get to work to salvage this beauty, unfortunately I didn't take many pictures but I basically refilled these craters as best I could with pieces of pine so the single coils could go back in. 

It took several cuts but you can get an idea. 

Anyway after an hour or so of work and soldering it is looking a lot better. 

so if you find yourself looking at an AVRI Jag thinking its too good to be true for £550. It is!!

Luckily its a blinding guitar and it sounds great with the AVRI 65 pickups in it but I aint half miffed at the guy that sold me this guitar. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited July 2014
    It's easy to be wise after the event but if you're buying unseen and you know the modification would involve routing, you need to see pictures without the scratch plate on.

In fairness, it looks great now and it was 'cheap'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    That does look achingly gorgeous with the jag pickups in and the black pickguard - sorry you had that unpleasant surprise, but what a pretty guitar it is now. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    Nice job meltedbuzzbox.That looks great.Probably turned out to be quite a good deal in the end.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited July 2014
    What a crap job (the routing, not your rebuild)

You could easily fix that up with a router, so that the pickup routes look more professional.

Edit: actually you could fix that with a sharp chisel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Wow, that sucks :(

Looks nice now, though :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    ...still for £200 you can't complain really.... what's that??  - you paid  - HOW MUCH???- !!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Enjoy the bargain! It looks bloody fantastic.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    "I wouldn't worry - maybe those are tactical routes that unlock extra tone".................Said Mark D Phillips.........
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

I had a Strat copy which had a massive rectangle cut out for the pickups under the scratchplate. It went from the bridge to the neck, no humbucker shaped holes just a massive rectangle. I spose cos it's out of sight it doesn't matter really
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Danny1969 said:

I had a Strat copy which had a massive rectangle cut out for the pickups under the scratchplate. It went from the bridge to the neck, no humbucker shaped holes just a massive rectangle. I spose cos it's out of sight it doesn't matter really

They were all like that in the 90s!
  • mrchi said:
    "I wouldn't worry - maybe those are tactical routes that unlock extra tone".................Said Mark D Phillips.........
    lol

Seriously though, if it's a players guitar (as in, a keeper), it doesn't matter - it's all hidden, and the OP reckons it sounds and plays amazing.  

Okay, it's not ideal, but it's clearly not ruining the guitar, is my point. :)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I love how it looks with both the humbuckers and single coils. Great looking guitar
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Yeah bollocks to it it looks fantastic with the HBs and the single coils in it. It does look as though the guy had the touch of a raging gorilla with his tools though! I think he did our bathroom....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    With pickguard mounted pickups the body doesn't tend to contribute as much to the tone anyway, I'd wager it sounds pretty much identical to how it did pre-mod. It was a good price regardless. Just view it as being "weight relieved".
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I suppose the silver lining on this cloud is if you ever fancy going back to buckers or even having one of both, that's an option, it wouldn't take much to make the erm... "Creative routing" look a little more factory.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @strtdv Jag pickups are actually mounted straight to the body that is why I had to fill in the craters with wood. ;-)

If I ever made it mega rich and famous I would love to see my signature model

Carefully selected alder body with tone cavities and hand selected homebase door architrave pine wood working in unison to deliver the ultimate tonez
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    Hmm...I feel that the title of this should be, "Caution - don't buy modded guitars without asking for pics, or being content to take a risk on unknowns..."
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Hmm...I feel that the title of this should be, "Caution - don't buy modded guitars without asking for pics, or being content to take a risk on unknowns..."
    yeah it was ultimately my own fault for trusting the guy but hey an AVRI at mij monies got me all excited and I couldn't say no.

I love the guitar so it is no biggy. I am more annoyed that people do these sort of things. I think even mdphillips wouldnt make such a bad job of it... actually maybe thats a bit strong. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    @markdphillips will sort it for you in a jiffy.

Are you OK with 4 strings and it being converted into a bass though?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Seriously, how could you imagine that a Jag that's been fitted with humbuckers would be 'reversible'? (Assuming they weren't single-coil-sized, like Duncan Rails or JB Jr etc.)

Even assuming the neatest possible job of fitting them, it's never going to be reversible, because it can't be done in the first place without routing.

And if something can't be done without routing, you have to assume that sort of workmanship - or worse - until proven otherwise...

... and there really is worse! If you don't believe someone could do such a hamfisted job on a £1500 guitar, you probably haven't seen some of the horrors professional repairers get asked to put right :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom