Caution - dont buy modded guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Nice now :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    At the end of the day its hidden and doesn't affect functionality, other than needing some shims under the pickups.  the seller should have been a bit more honest, most would have avoided if they had seen the pic and the seller knew this.

have a look at this ebay listing, scroll through the pics in the actual listing

Doesn't stop me lusting after it. although i would rather have this one I expect it looks the same under the hood

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Ouch. That was a bit crafty. 

Cool guitar, though. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    ...is prob why he sold it too... bugged the shit outta him!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Seriously, how could you imagine that a Jag that's been fitted with humbuckers would be 'reversible'? (Assuming they weren't single-coil-sized, like Duncan Rails or JB Jr etc.)

Even assuming the neatest possible job of fitting them, it's never going to be reversible, because it can't be done in the first place without routing.

And if something can't be done without routing, you have to assume that sort of workmanship - or worse - until proven otherwise...

... and there really is worse! If you don't believe someone could do such a hamfisted job on a £1500 guitar, you probably haven't seen some of the horrors professional repairers get asked to put right :).
    maybe my choice of wording is a little off by using the word reversible.

If you look at this picture, a jag pickup should still be able to be fitted into the bridge position as the width of the routing is still intact

I was hoping for something similar.

and if we are getting technical I did manage to reverse the buckers with the help of some pine :-P

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Sounds like you got a great guitar at a bargain price. :)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2437
    meltedbuzzbox;293530" said:
    @strtdv Jag pickups are actually mounted straight to the body that is why I had to fill in the craters with wood. ;-)

Ah, didn't realise this. I'm sure it still make minimal difference to the tone. To be fair though an AVRI would need to have some very poor mods to not be worth £500, it's still a good deal.

Seems to be that if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. I bought a partscaster on the old harmony central forums that was very cheap (under £200 with a MIM classic player neck, 2 piece ash might mite body, and humbucker bridge/P90 neck). When it arrived there were a few marks on the body that the seller hadn't mentioned, and the pickups were wired incorrectly. I fixed it up, but didn't bond with it, sold it for a profit.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Seriously, how could you imagine that a Jag that's been fitted with humbuckers would be 'reversible'? (Assuming they weren't single-coil-sized, like Duncan Rails or JB Jr etc.)
    It was reversible - 10 minutes with a chisel and a dremel, and some off cuts of wood and the single coils can be refitted. Scratchplate back on and the repair is invisible. And you have a cracking guitar for a budget price.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    <shrugs> I always assumed that's why god invented scratchplates, to hide the unholy mess that I made of the routing.

Anyway, Dremels, they're brilliant aren't they?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ''and assured me it was reversible''

well you did reverse it . lol

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Yeah, wouldn't really have expected much different to be honest. How did the seller respond when you took it up with him?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Gagaryn said:

It was reversible - 10 minutes with a chisel and a dremel, and some off cuts of wood and the single coils can be refitted. Scratchplate back on and the repair is invisible.
    Invisible (from the outside!) and reversible aren't the same thing :).

It may well be a great guitar now, but it can never be put back to how it was originally no matter what you do and hence is not reversible.

That may not matter to some people, but it was dishonest to describe it as such.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2437
    edited July 2014
    At least they didn't do a Fender "swimming pool" route. 

This is how USA made strats (excluding reissues) came pre-1998:

Even now, the majority come with a "universal" HSH route rather than an SSS route
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    strtdv;294123" said:
    At least they didn't do a Fender "swimming pool" route. 

This is how USA made strats (excluding reissues) came pre-1998:

Even now, the majority come with a "universal" HSH route rather than an SSS route
    Jesus, they even made that one the wrong way round...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love a swimming pool route strat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I'd love a swimming pool route strat.
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9b/30/a8/9b30a8984c865f0f7d69343d91638e36.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2014
    ICBM;294194" said:
    [quote=ThePrettyDamned]
    I'd love a swimming pool route strat.
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9b/30/a8/9b30a8984c865f0f7d69343d91638e36.jpg[/quote]

Sorry, yeah it was a typo.

I want a strat route swimming pool. :) :p
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

gusman2x said:

Yeah, wouldn't really have expected much different to be honest. How did the seller respond when you took it up with him?

I haven't took it up with him, being in the US and all the rest of the shenanigans involved its a bit of a lost cause.

However if you are on OSG and someone called gutterrock is selling a Jag you know what questions to ask ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

It was reversible - 10 minutes with a chisel and a dremel, and some off cuts of wood and the single coils can be refitted. Scratchplate back on and the repair is invisible.
    Invisible (from the outside!) and reversible aren't the same thing :).

It may well be a great guitar now, but it can never be put back to how it was originally no matter what you do and hence is not reversible.

That may not matter to some people, but it was dishonest to describe it as such.

Original (on the inside!) and reversible aren't the same thing. ;-)

The seller claimed it was reversible - i.e. that single coils could be refitted instead of the replacement humbuckers. And they have - so it was. :-)

No claims of originality or 'mintytude' were made as far as I know. In the same way as it was obvious that the scratchplate had bigger holes in it than it used to, it was obvious that the body would be affected too. Granted, it wasn't the neatest job but it doesn't really matter as it's hidden.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I wonder how many router bits were used, given the scorch marks the first bit must have blunt on first pass....... That's if they knew what they were supposed to be doing, clearly they didn't. Looks like they guessed the depth locked up and plunged to the bottom.

Easy enough to square up and drop a couple blocks in if you want to do it properly. Either way a great guitar for the money you paid regardless of the routes.