What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Greta Van Fleet

Apart from hearing the occasional song on Planet Rock ,they had completely passed me by. The albums are a bit marmite but they do have some great tunes. 
    I'm surprised there's not more love for them around these parts given the number of Zeppelin and Rush fans here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    bobblehat said:
    Greta Van Fleet

Apart from hearing the occasional song on Planet Rock ,they had completely passed me by. The albums are a bit marmite but they do have some great tunes. 
    I'm surprised there's not more love for them around these parts given the number of Zeppelin and Rush fans here.
    They've been discussed before, when they first burst onto the scene (as Micah Richards always says).

Heated debates between those who thought they were a refreshing throwback and those who thought they were just imitators of those classic bands.
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 451
    @bobblehat I think that for those who like Zeppelin, GVF are just copying them and so are to be held in disdain. For those that don't like Zeppelin, they are basically just Zeppelin and to be held in disdain.

It seems to be a bit fashionable to dislike them - in much the same way that lots of people looked down their noses at Oasis as all of their songs were "just Beatles knock-offs" - although they clearly have plenty of fans.

I like them - I'll be honest, my favourite of their three releases is the From The Fires EP; AotPA and BaGG are both good albums, but the songs haven't stuck in my head as much as those on FTF. In part this is due to me having spent less time listening to the two albums, to be fair.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    @bobblehat I think that for those who like Zeppelin, GVF are just copying them and so are to be held in disdain. For those that don't like Zeppelin, they are basically just Zeppelin and to be held in disdain.

It seems to be a bit fashionable to dislike them - in much the same way that lots of people looked down their noses at Oasis as all of their songs were "just Beatles knock-offs" - although they clearly have plenty of fans.

I like them - I'll be honest, my favourite of their three releases is the From The Fires EP; AotPA and BaGG are both good albums, but the songs haven't stuck in my head as much as those on FTF. In part this is due to me having spent less time listening to the two albums, to be fair.
    I guess they can't really win either way.  I can see why you might prefer From the Fires, to my ears its the less proggy of 3. All good stuff though.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The new Cave In album is bloody brilliant. Full of huge riffs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TTBZ said:

I read a review of that and it sounded very intriguing, although I'm not sure if I'll like it - it might be a bit too "alternative".  But I'll give it a listen or two.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Just some classic Black Sabbath .
    Just perfect..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:

I read a review of that and it sounded very intriguing, although I'm not sure if I'll like it - it might be a bit too "alternative".  But I'll give it a listen or two.
    It's a lot less "alternative" than some of their older stuff which I'm not always keen on. There seems to be a lot more of a Mastodon/Baroness kind of feel to this album, with some absolutely massive riffs.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Literally this. I was obsessed with these songs when I was little

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Isley Brothers, Behind A Painted Smile
    Always great.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Back through the Lantlos catalogue. Neon/Agape is far better than I'd remembered, but this is still my favourite of theirs.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 835
    Eat 'em and smile ... Dave Lee Roth album.
    Forgotten how good it is ... the 80s was a long time ago :pensive: 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 519
    War on Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
    Led Zeppelin- Presence
    Rain Parade - Beyond The Sunset
    Lee Scratch Perry - Arkology
    Can - Tago Mago
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    V/A - New York Noise volume 1 (Konk, Liquid Liquid, The Bloods, Glenn Branca, Medium Medium etc) 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    This astonishing jazz guitar+vocal performance https://fb.watch/d8UygBQJrs/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Bit of a blast from the past, not quite sure how I ended up here. The vocal effects are very annoying but it was an interesting take on pop rock with those ‘out’ guitar parts and fretless bass. 

https://youtu.be/3973tfsllqw

https://youtu.be/hv2bQSIbteQ

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    TTBZ said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    It's a lot less "alternative" than some of their older stuff which I'm not always keen on. There seems to be a lot more of a Mastodon/Baroness kind of feel to this album, with some absolutely massive riffs.
    @TTBZ I'm finally having my first listen.  Crikey, this is good, especially the longer, more epic tracks.  It's pretty melodic too, which is just fine by me.  And I think it'll only get better on repeat listens.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6434
    Sheryl Crow - 100 Miles From Memphis

Bit of a Soul-ish departure from her more recognisable sound, but no harm in that.

https://youtu.be/-MN28z1R80A

Doyle Bramhall II on guitar, if that’s your bag.

Never heard of these until today, shamefully. I love his vocal delivery in the verse, and those great chord changes 

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Been listening to the new Everything Everything album. Might be their best yet.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.