Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any ideas for a late life crisis shred guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2020
    NelsonP said:
    It's actually the blue version of that guitar that I like the most so far, which is in the link in my original post. That one is really nice too.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My midlife crisis shredder is a Schecter C6 Pro. Unbelievably good guitar for the money. So glad I bought it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22792
    I don't think it's at all what you have in mind, but for myself I would have to go for a '70s style Fender with humbuckers and - for the sake of convention - a Floyd Rose.  Like Mick Mars plays.

Mick Mars - Fender  Mick mars Guitar Electric guitar

Ibanez AZs are also quite appealing, another vote for them.  And staying with Ibanez, maybe a Kiko Loureiro model?

edited December 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think it's at all what you have in mind, but for myself I would have to go for a '70s style Fender with humbuckers and - for the sake of convention - a Floyd Rose.  Like Mick Mars plays....

Good suggestion but I think I've got enough Strats. The Kiko Loureiro looks really nice. In fact it's very similar to the Ibanez S6570Q Prestige NBL that I like.

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2020

Some good suggestions I hadn't thought of.

It's not a competition.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited December 2020
    @tekbow that Bacchus looks great. The type of look that appeals to me.

I should have said, The Guitar Den in the UK is a dealer. Great to deal with too

If you do order one, be sure and say you'd prefer a 1 piece body.

They run about £1300-£1500
  • This is my Schecter. The photos are from the Peach website, but they are of my exact guitar which I nabbed before I ordered it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Set yourself are playing goal, rather than going out and buying a guitar now give yourself a goal of let’s say 160 beats a minute, 16th notes alt  picking before you go and do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    octatonic said:
    Set yourself are playing goal, rather than going out and buying a guitar now give yourself a goal of let’s say 160 beats a minute, 16th notes alt  picking before you go and do it.

It's not about shredding really. It's more about owning a guitar, in the way that some might want a fancy sports car in later life, hence the title of the thread.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited December 2020
    Charvel looks a decent bet for not a tonne of money.

Others to consider:
    HM strat (?)
    Musicman Silhouette HSH - not very shreddy though
    Suhr modern
    Custom shop strat
    Charvel Guthrie Govan
    LSL Mick Mars tribute looks tasty. Guitar guitar seem to have a few lsl's in stock. May be worth a call?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    To be honest, the older I get the more I think I should one day just go the whole hog and get a full-on dayglo finish, disappearing-pyramid inlay, monkey-grip original JEM...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    Charvel looks a decent bet for not a tonne of money.

Others to consider:
    HM strat (?)
    Musicman Silhouette HSH - not very shreddy though
    Suhr modern
    Custom shop strat
    LSL Mick Mars tribute looks tasty. Guitar guitar seem to have a few lsl's in stock. May be worth a call?

Thanks for the suggestions. It will probably be a couple of months before I have the money from probate but it always takes me a long time to decide on a new guitar so I'm looking at ideas now. And it's a way of getting my mind off a painful period.

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:
    To be honest, the older I get the more I think I should one day just go the whole hog and get a full-on dayglo finish, disappearing-pyramid inlay, monkey-grip original JEM...

Part of me thinks that way. I just worry it might raise expectations that I can't live up to. Although, at this rate, who knows when I'll be gigging again.

It's not a competition.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:
    Well, you only live once ;-)

Also for the OP, this...
    Ibanez 540S “Custom Made” Black https://reverb.com/item/35605329-ibanez-540s-custom-made-black?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=35605329-ibanez-540s-custom-made-black

Or this
    Ibanez S540 Late 90s Black Graduated https://reverb.com/item/34077993-ibanez-s540-late-90s-black-graduated?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34077993-ibanez-s540-late-90s-black-graduated
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    edited December 2020
    The Charvels are really good, but I would go for the more expensive version if you get one (if I'm thinking of the right thing - I think there's a £8-900 one then a pricier version). 

The AZs are definitely worth considering - they don't come with an HSH configuration, but with the switching options you don't need it as you can get all of those sounds (for comparison I have a floral Jem too, and I can get all the sounds I want from the AZ that I can from the Jem). The Jems are very nice - much skinnier neck though. As you can tell I'm completely sold on the AZ - a chance trade last year and it hasn't really left my hands. 

Vigiers are also excellent; bit sleeker than all the above, great guitars. 

You're more than welcome to try my Jem/AZs for comparison (I have both a Prestige and a Premium AZ) when we're actually allowed to meet 

• NelsonP said:

How come I don't know about this?! Off to look!!
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited December 2020
    The new range of Rob Chapman guitars are getting some good reports.
    I splashed out £99 on one of these a few weeks back and haven’t put it down.
    It’s one hell of a guitar for the money.

Harley Benton HWY-25BKS Progressive Series

Harley Benton HWY-25BKS Progressive Series

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Ibanez JEM
    Ibanez RG J Custom (used)
    Jackson SL1 (used and change the neck pickup to a hot rails)