Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any ideas for a late life crisis shred guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• Many thanks for all the other ideas I hadn't thought of.

...You're more than welcome to try my Jem/AZs for comparison (I have both a Prestige and a Premium AZ) when we're actually allowed to meet 

I might take you up on that kind offer. Are you in Bristol IIRC, which isn't too far from Exmouth?

Although playing guitar in front of you is a scary prospect. Perhaps I could pay you for a lesson at the same time. But who knows when we can do that.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is nice, well under budget as second hand so could budget an excellent set up and even pickup change if you wanted. 

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/ibanez-prestige-s5570-green-doom-burst-made-in-japan-used.htm ;
  • It's an RG550, but this color looks a lot less "metal" than normal. Plus the matching headstock is classy ...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/196854/fs-1990-i-think-ibanez-rg550m-metallic-blue-with-matching-headstock-775?new=1
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    ICBM said:
    To be honest, the older I get the more I think I should one day just go the whole hog and get a full-on dayglo finish, disappearing-pyramid inlay, monkey-grip original JEM...
    The disappearing pyramids were very very cool.  I think I'd feel obliged to collect all three colours though.  But they'd just be ornaments*, I know I'd hate the necks.

(* Yes, like all my other guitars...)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Philly_Q said:

The disappearing pyramids were very very cool.  I think I'd feel obliged to collect all three colours though.  But they'd just be ornaments*, I know I'd hate the necks.
    It's disappointing that the JEM Jr doesn't have them, or I might have already given in to temptation - and they don't seem to do it in green either, which was always my favourite of the original colours. I've currently settled for putting pink and green DiMarzios in my Aria :).

I did actually have an RG750 briefly a very long time ago and didn't like the neck on that, but the JEMs actually seem to have a slightly less flat (on the back) one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    edited December 2020
    I agree, the green was the best colour.  However, not that it's an issue on a new guitar, but the colour of those old pink DiMarzio PAF Pros seems to fade really badly.

Trogly reviewed the Vai Pia guitars the other day and described the necks as really thin, with a pronounced shoulder and flat on the back.  For me that's the worst possible neck shape! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

Trogly reviewed the Vai Pia guitars the other day and described the necks as really thin, with a pronounced shoulder and flat on the back.  For me that's the worst possible neck shape! 
    Me too, or at least second only to 'fat'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Im going to throw a recommendation in for older model Carvins (really Floyd roses Kenny!) not to pointy

I have 2 of their DC models one's from 89 (flame maple orange) and ones a 2000 as i recall (blue) both are fantasic guitars and 2nd hand at about £600+ are great value (even after the recent spike in price for just Carvin made years guitars)

Well worth keeping an eye out for

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

...You're more than welcome to try my Jem/AZs for comparison (I have both a Prestige and a Premium AZ) when we're actually allowed to meet 

I might take you up on that kind offer. Are you in Bristol IIRC, which isn't too far from Exmouth?

Although playing guitar in front of you is a scary prospect. Perhaps I could pay you for a lesson at the same time. But who knows when we can do that.

No probs :) We're in Stroud...bit further but not too bad. Used to live in Exeter, reckon it's about 1hr 30/45 from here. 
  • Another recommendation for Charvel - I got a San Dimas in black sparkle in the summer and have played it more than any of my other guitars. The neck is glorious - slim but definitely not skinny, and I love the hot rodded strat vibe. The Floyd Rose 1000 on it has been rock solid.

ps - I have a Strandberg too...bit different. Definitely shreddy, depends if you like the aesthetic! 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    If it was my money it would be an Ibby RG3270 Prestige. They don’t come up often but for the money the spec is hard to beat. Mahogany body, proper flame maple cap, fantastic neck, edge pro ( I think ) trem and Dimarzio PAF Pro and Blue Velvet pickups. I’ve had three of them over the years and they rank alongside the JEM7VV I had. You can pick them up for around £1000 at the mo although they used to go for £650 a couple of years ago. Or go the full vine inlay bling and buy a JEM7VV for around £1200.

'https://i.imgur.com/Z4bcuQx.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @stratman3142 I fancy a kiesel theos. Mmmm 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Don’t forget some of the Maverick guitars, for peanuts you can get a very nicely built and great playing guitar. I had the hardtail model below  but they did loads with Floyd’s too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    RG550 for the win and get some spandex strides!

The current RG550s appear to be the Genesis Series and the colours are probably a bit much for me.

I was thinking of the RG550DX-LB at one point but I think they've been discontinued.

Why not buy used? With Ibanez it'll be the same or better quality for 20/30% of the price.
    grungebob said:
    Don’t forget some of the Maverick guitars, for peanuts you can get a very nicely built and great playing guitar. I had the hardtail model below  but they did loads with Floyd’s too.
    I can't get on with the controls on those at all. The switch is in totally the wrong place for me and I don't find the roller knobs at all easy to use.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2195
    edited December 2020

I always liked the looks of these - Never played one though 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    If I were intending to buy a good shredder, I'd be looking at a Charvel.

With most instruments if you buy used you'll likely get your money back if/when you sell, so there's no overall loss.