NAD

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
Picked this up a week ago along with the floor controller and a Mission exp. pedal. I've long needed to scratch this itch. Not sure I will find it as imspiring as a good valve amp but I needed to try it to know for myself. I already had a couple of 3U rack shells that I made when I was making shells for my Ceriatone OTS so I decided to cover it in red tolex today and mount the Kemper in it. Looks a whole lot better than raw wood.

Its a powered version so the cab underneath will get the same treatment and I'll put an EV as I've already got one spare plus something else suitable .  Might even try one of the Kemper Kone drivers to see if they work well enough. I would expect an EV to do a decent job though as its essentially a PA speaker that crossed over to guitar cabs ( the 200w version not the Zak Wylde 300w version).

I have bought some commercial profiles , Dr Z pack 1 and some Dumble clone profiles from Marcus Cliffe. Need to figure out who does the best profiles for JMP's and JCM 800's, plus Matchless, Carr and Two Rock. So far I'm still finding my way round all the controls and figuring our how it all operates. I'm not hugely impressed through headphones just yet but that might just be me not knowing how to get the best out of it. I need to get my head round it before we are allowed out to jam again, it needs to be at least as good as my Ceriatone OTS and my mates Maz 18NR by then.

Not so impressed that they omitted the LED's for the TMB Pres and Vol  knobs for the rack version, makes it difficult to see what the settings are. Another niggle is Rig Manager won't run on Win 7/64b with the latest firmware so I either have to downgrade the firmware or put the rig manager on my Win 10 tablet, not ideal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I get round to doing it I’ll send you a profile of the Blackverb...
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    That would be cool, thanks Paul
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Cool, If the tone samples from Marcus Cliffe are as as good as his studio recordings it should sound ace.

I find playing through headphones is always less dynamic. It maybe needs a small speaker attached to the guitar to provide the feedback that is missed ha ha
    Cool, If the tone samples from Marcus Cliffe are as as good as his studio recordings it should sound ace.

I find playing through headphones is always less dynamic. It maybe needs a small speaker attached to the guitar to provide the feedback that is missed ha ha
    Got the speaker cab covered now just need to cut out the recessed handles and cover the baffle and I'll be able to try it properly. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    TopJimi's Caswell JCM800 pack is easily the best Marshall pack I ever used or heard when I had my Kemper. Highly recommended!
    Finished the cab a while ago but didn't get round to fitting the new Celestion reback until today.  Sounds really good but not tried at volume yet.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Very nicely done.

But haven't you got the handles upside down? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    Very nicely done.

But haven't you got the handles upside down?
    Don't think so, depends on whether you go overhand or underhand. TBH the handles are the least of the problem when carrying it. EV's sound wonderful but they do exact a price. 
    hywelg said:

Don't think so, depends on whether you go overhand or underhand. TBH the handles are the least of the problem when carrying it. EV's sound wonderful but they do exact a price. 
    The crossbar needs to be at the bottom or the top edge of the recess will cut into the back of your hand/wrist when you’re carrying it with someone else.

Trust me on this :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

The crossbar needs to be at the bottom or the top edge of the recess will cut into the back of your hand/wrist when you’re carrying it with someone else.

Trust me on this :).
    You seem to be under the illusion I have a friend to help me carry it ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:

You seem to be under the illusion I have a friend to help me carry it ! 
    lol

Well in that case it probably doesn’t matter :). I just have bad memories of a Mesa bass cab that had factory-fitted handles which were so badly designed - nearly square, with the crossbar in the middle and about as far from the top edge as yours - that it was almost impossible to lift without injuring yourself...