Avoid Richards Guitars - Incredibly Rude

What's Hot
PengaMaxPengaMax Frets: 60
edited December 2020 in Other Reviews
HI,

I would urge you to avoid dealing with this retailer, he is very rude and there are much more deserving independent guitar shops who are actually friendly and helpful to prospective customer enquiries.

I’ll just post the screenshots of my interaction with him and let you make up your own mind. I certainly won’t be visiting his site / store again. 
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PengaMaxPengaMax Frets: 60
    edited December 2020

rg1.png 211K
    rg2.png 202.7K
    rg3.png 230K
    rg4.png 195.5K
    rg5.png 203.8K
    rg6.png 200.9K
    rg7.png 185.2K
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's certainly marmite that's for sure. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a long and complex history on here with RG. I'll try to flag this with the modmins as they may have an opinion on whether the Discussion can run. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's certainly marmite that's for sure. 
    Just can't believe someone in retail would be so rude to a prospective customer! His ignorance around guitar pedals seemed to inflame some deep paranoia or something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a long and complex history on here with RG. I'll try to flag this with the modmins as they may have an opinion on whether the Discussion can run. 
    Sure thing. I'm new here so not aware of tge history! Just wanted to warn people and maybe deal with someone else, plenty of struggling guitar stores out there that dont treat people like this!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Who knew?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Looks like im a bit late to the party with this then, preaching to the converted
  • Still, now im here at least i can start chatting about guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited December 2020
    Yes, Richard has a long and storied history here - including making legal threats and then likely-slanderous videos about us (and me in particular) when we didn't immediately delete everything that was critical of him. It all started, I believe, when he got abusive with one of our members for criticising a guitar brand that Richard likes.

Having had extensive email communication with him, I can confirm that the conversational style he displayed in those screenshots is absolutely consistent with what I experienced.
    <space for hire>
  • Sadly i didn't screenshot all of it, i guess i was a bit bemused by what was happening
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    PengaMax said:
    HI,

I would urge you to avoid dealing with this retailer, he is very rude and there are much more deserving independent guitar shops who are actually friendly and helpful to prospective customer enquiries.

I’ll just post the screenshots of my interaction with him and let you make up your own mind. I certainly won’t be visiting his site / store again. 
    Just out of curiosity, can I ask how many other places you posted details of this particular gripe (if any) ?
  • AK99 said:
    PengaMax said:
    HI,

Just out of curiosity, can I ask how many other places you posted details of this particular gripe (if any) ?
    I left a text review on Trustpilot and google just saying i found the owner to be particularly rude. This is the only place i have (and will) leave any screenshots. 
  • I managed to go back on the chat and take screenshots of the rest of the chat, just so i have it all in case he decides to come at me and tell any lies about it. Happy to share if anyone wants to see but its more of the same, seems you're all aware of what he is like anyway. What happens if you ask him in the actual store if its a plate reverb, does he just punch you in the face?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    edited December 2020
    Are we going to have another bashing thread while simultaneously making threads supporting mental health?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    Are we going to have another bashing thread while simultaneously making threads supporting mental health?

Not trying to bash anyone here or trying to encourage others to do so, just wanted to make people aware of the terrible service i received from a retailer. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    S56035 said:

that's a bit of a strawman argument to be honest. The guy seems to have a long and consistent history of being abrasive if he perceives insult. I'm not really seeing any actual bashing here, more sharing of information. The OP is new here, so seems unaware this is not a new subject in there here parts, but I've seen enough here and previously to not want get myself involved with him. I'm sure there are many sides to the stories and probably many happy customers as well as disgruntled, but I'm glad these topics get aired, so others can be forewarned about what and who they may be dealing with. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1104
    He's discussed his mental health issues on his channel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    He's discussed his mental health issues on his channel.
    I'm sorry to hear that but doesn't give him carte blanche to speak to me in the way he did. As a consumer i'm voicing my dissatisfaction with a business. I'd do the same with any other business if one of their employees were that rude to me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    PengaMax said:
    Still, now im here at least i can start chatting about Brexit, laminate flooring, toasters and Trump. 
    Corrected
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He seems an interesting character for sure - I actually think if 99 pct of us sat down and had a beer with him and talked guitars we would enjoy it. He'd be enthusiastic, a bit controversial and probably quite a laugh.

He does seem to have a pattern of throwing his toys out of the pram when dealing with punters who irk him - it's difficult to take a behind the scenes role when your brand is basically 'you'...'Richards Guitars'.  I wonder if he can be persuaded by his nearest and dearest to take a more Lee Anderton role ?