In praise of the interrupted cadence

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10690
edited December 2020 in Theory
A cadence is a 2-chord harmonic progression that creates an aural resolution. The most common cadence is the progression from dominant to tonic (from the V chord to the I chord). It is called the “perfect” cadence. 

But sometimes this progression is suddenly deflected, so that the V chord progresses to an unexpected chord. This is called an “interrupted” cadence. The most common interrupted cadence is from the dominant to the sub mediant (the V chord to the vi chord). It leaves the listener hanging, waiting for ultimate resolution, which is often achieved by a repetition of the phrase, but with a proper perfect cadence at the end, the second time round. 

An excellent example of the interrupted cadence occurs in the piece ‘Boris Johnson is a fucking cunt’, by the pop group The Kunts. 

The majority of the piece comprises I IV V harmony, but at 0:13 there is a lyric “he’s a fucking cunt” where the listener expects to hear the verse ending with a IV - V - I, but it is interrupted with IV - V - vi. Then at 0:15, relief is provided with the anticipated IV - V - I and the accompanying lyric “he’s a fucking cunt”. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments