NGD: Epiphone Masterbuilt Frontier

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
in Acoustics tFB Trader
This arrived today - it's my 40th birthday present from Mrs Guitars and Master Guitars combined - admittedly earlier than they had planned but it was delivered today and the courier literally dropped it on the doorstep so she wanted me to inspect it to make sure there was no damage.....and, well, I couldn't just put it back in the box and wait another 23 days could I??

I am SERIOUSLY impressed with this guitar, solid spruce top, solid Maple back and sides with a Fishman preamp. Fit and finish is impeccable and it sounds wonderful, like all those old Stones records we know and love. 

Plus it has the C&W Kitsch value of the Cactus and Rope pickguard! I've spent most of the afternoon living out my Gram Parsons fantasies...

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
    I'm really liking the retro but different look that it has.
    Solid woods, made in the USA, it'll really give Gibson's a run for the money.
     Enjoy it & happy birthday when it arrives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s really lovely. Sort of a more subtle-looking Dove I guess? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    That’s really lovely. Sort of a more subtle-looking Dove I guess? 
    Paging @ICBM for an opinion  ;)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    That’s really lovely. Sort of a more subtle-looking Dove I guess? 
    Pretty much, it’s Spruce top and Maple back and sides like the Dove, I imagine this was Epiphone’s version originally. Sounds very similar to a Dove.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Very cool, now just needs the perfect Americana strap.
  • That looks fantastic, congrats. I’m seriously considering one of the new Epiphone acoustics.
    tFB Trader
    Just an update on this...

I was never really enamoured with the satin finish on the guitar, it jarred against the glossy pickguard so, after a quick google, it seems that buffing up Masterbilt Epiphones is a regular pastime for some....so I spent an hour this morning with some Maguires Scratch X and some Virtuoso polish and WHAT a difference, it's literally like the gawky secretary at work taking off her specs and shaking her hair free at the Christmas party and she's suddenly a babe!.......or i've just made my guitar a bit more shiny.....either way, it's made all the difference visually for me :) 

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks better. Was getting the finish the result of a handjob or were vibrating/oscillating tools involved? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Looks better. Was getting the finish the result of a handjob or were vibrating/oscillating tools involved? 
    Just an hours vigorous rubbing...
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love that, I’m a big fan of 60’s Epiphone acoustics and have owned 2 frontiers, an Eldorado and a Bard 12. Would love to try this reissue. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    Just an update on this...

I was never really enamoured with the satin finish on the guitar, it jarred against the glossy pickguard so, after a quick google, it seems that buffing up Masterbilt Epiphones is a regular pastime for some....so I spent an hour this morning with some Maguires Scratch X and some Virtuoso polish and WHAT a difference, it's literally like the gawky secretary at work taking off her specs and shaking her hair free at the Christmas party and she's suddenly a babe!.......or i've just made my guitar a bit more shiny.....either way, it's made all the difference visually for me :) 

Wow, looks great after a good buffing! Enjoy.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Lovely score and belated birthday wishes. Are these the correct vintage correct Epiphone scale length or are they the standard Gibson scale length?