Pedals for acoustic

Hi - I have a good Taylor electro-acoustic, basic boss looper pedal and Fender Acoustic 100 amp. Old git Playing a lot of singer songwriter type stuff to a basic but improving level and love it! Some aspiration to eventually perform (probably the local pub when we’re allowed!). I know best way to sound better is practice but is it overkill to be investing in pedals/gadgets to help adjust tone - eq, compression, delay, reverb etc since the amp already has capability to do this? Looked at everything from single function pedals to products such as T Rex Soulmate (looks great but maybe a little complex for my stage of development). Any help gratefully received thanks Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mdfiremdfire Frets: 2
    edited January 2021
    I recently bought a Fishman Aura Spectrum. I dont perform either but its great fun getting different sounds out of it. there are 100's of IR's to download and try one that suits your guitar best. its pretty straight forward to use also.
  •  is it overkill to be investing in pedals/gadgets to help adjust tone - eq, compression, delay, reverb etc since the amp already has capability to do this?
    Not necessarily if you are using a looper. I don't think that amp has any form of effects loop which means that any reverb, delay, etc added will be added equally across everything layered up on the looper.

A separate pedal(s) IN FRONT of the looper to handle the ambient effects means you can vary the amount as you build up a loop, creating a far more pleasing depth and musical image. Background parts with more reverb, foreground solo drier and louder for example.

There will be a bit of a learning curve as you're learning to 'mix' as you play but the end result will be far more pleasing and professional sounding, especially should you manage to get out and perform in public.

So, something like the Soulmate might work very well in front of a looper but be prepared to put the hours in to get the best out of it.

• mdfire said:
    I recently bought a Fishman Aura Spectrum. I dont perform either but its great fun getting different sounds out of it. there are 100's of IR's to download and try one that suits your guitar best. its pretty straight forward to use also.
    Thanks really helpful

•  is it overkill to be investing in pedals/gadgets to help adjust tone - eq, compression, delay, reverb etc since the amp already has capability to do this?
    Not necessarily if you are using a looper. I don't think that amp has any form of effects loop which means that any reverb, delay, etc added will be added equally across everything layered up on the looper.

A separate pedal(s) IN FRONT of the looper to handle the ambient effects means you can vary the amount as you build up a loop, creating a far more pleasing depth and musical image. Background parts with more reverb, foreground solo drier and louder for example.

There will be a bit of a learning curve as you're learning to 'mix' as you play but the end result will be far more pleasing and professional sounding, especially should you manage to get out and perform in public.

So, something like the Soulmate might work very well in front of a looper but be prepared to put the hours in to get the best out of it.

Thanks really helpful