Plug in garage lighting

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• :( water and electrics.... mmm.... priorities! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    :( water and electrics.... mmm.... priorities! 
    Yeah, its condensation rather than water pissing in, Im not that daft lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I use a couple of LED suspended ceiling panel lights in my garage, hung from hooks. 
    Much better than the gloomy strip lights they replaced. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I put a couple of these in the garage yesterday. https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-4ft-led-batten-white-43w-4400lm/6481

Easy to fit as they weigh very little and you fix spring clips to the ceiling first and just clip the fitting in place. Easy to wire up too as they have push-in wiring tags. You can link them if you only want to run one mains lead, everything is supplied to do it. They replaced two old 6 foot fluorescent fittings and are way brighter.... 1/3 of the power consumption too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'd like to replace the strip lights in my garage with LED units but there's so many it's confusing. At one time you knew where you stood - 50W, 65W 70W, etc. Now there's all these Lumens and cool white warm white, etc. and I've no idea what it all means.

They should sell an 'LED's For Dummies' book.

edited December 2020
    I'd like to replace the strip lights in my garage with LED units but there's so many it's confusing. At one time you knew where you stood - 50W, 65W 70W, etc. Now there's all these Lumens and cool white warm white, etc. and I've no idea what it all means.

The 45 watt ones I linked to are way brighter than the old 6 foot 135 watt fluorescents I took down. You can probably divide the old wattage by four or five to get the same level of light from an LED. 

Warm white has a yellowy tint, probably better for inside the house. Cool white is more blue but seems more intense.  
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    boogieman said:

The 45 watt ones I linked to are way brighter than the old 6 foot 135 watt fluorescents I took down. You can probably divide the old wattage by four or five to get the same level of light from an LED. 

Warm white has a yellowy tint, probably better for inside the house. Cool white is more blue but seems more intense.  

So, presumably, if the LED's are brighter, I can cut down on the number of florry lighting units I have now? I think I've got about six 5' long doubles which have been on a wing and a prayer for ages now. It won't be long before one or other of them fall on top of the car. And you reckon cool white would be better than warm white for garage purposes?

boogieman said:

So, presumably, if the LED's are brighter, I can cut down on the number of florry lighting units I have now? I think I've got about six 5' long doubles which have been on a wing and a prayer for ages now. It won't be long before one or other of them fall on top of the car. And you reckon cool white would be better than warm white for garage purposes?

Yeah, I’d guess you could at least halve the number of units you’ve currently got. We’ve got a double garage in the new house. With two of those twin 4 foot battens I just put in, it’s like daylight in there now. 

Cool white looks better to me, the warm white has an odd yellowish cast to my eyes. 
    So, LED Batten light arrived today, just got to find out how to wire it for a plug
    So, wired it up for a plug, plugged it in and light has appeared without tripping anything. 

Using an old extension block cable which is 3 core and 3amp fuse on it.  Am I going to die because the earth in the flex isnt attached to anything?
    Jetfire said:
    So, wired it up for a plug, plugged it in and light has appeared without tripping anything. 

Using an old extension block cable which is 3 core and 3amp fuse on it.  Am I going to die because the earth in the flex isnt attached to anything?
    If yours are anything like the ones I put in, they’re all plastic so there’s no need for an earth. 
    boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:

If yours are anything like the ones I put in, they’re all plastic so there’s no need for an earth. 
    As it goes, I bought the same thing you suggested. So it doesnt need an earth as its plastic casing? Cool 
    Jetfire said:
    boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:

As it goes, I bought the same thing you suggested. So it doesnt need an earth as its plastic casing? Cool 

boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:
    boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:

Yup, there’s literally nowhere to attach the earth wire to on those plastic fittings. You would only need an earth if they were old style fluorescent fitting, because those had a metal casing. 
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:
    boogieman said:
    Jetfire said:

Yup, there’s literally nowhere to attach the earth wire to on those plastic fittings. You would only need an earth if they were old style fluorescent fitting, because those had a metal casing. 
    Thank you for the recommendation, its just what I needed!
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 121
    Crashing the thread just to offer my thanks to Boogieman for his LED strip light suggestion. Currently tidying up the garage mancave and splashed out the £60 on two of the suggested lights replacing tired and dirty old 4' fluorescents.

Wow, what a difference, the place is lit up like Heathrow's main runway. Wish I'd done this years ago.

Cheers,
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.