Is sanding to 240 grit enough?

What's Hot
geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
edited December 2020 in Making & Modding
I'm currently prepping my build for grain fill, stain and lacquer, and I keep seeing conflicting information on how far to go with the sanding.

Graham sanded it to 150 grit, so I was going to start with 240 grit, but do I need to go any further? Some sources I've seen say go to 320, 400 or even finer, but others say that beyond around 220 is unnecessary and actually can reduce the amount of stain that soaks into the wood.

If 240 grit is sufficient then that's great as I don't need to buy any more paper/won't need to spend as long sanding, but equally, I want to take as much time as necessary to get this right.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I go to 320 on wood
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    At least 320... then check to make sure you have all the scratches out. if not, back through the grades till the scratches are gone... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Its worth giving a wipe down with a damp cloth after 240g... not too wet.  It will raise any fibres that have got squashed down earlier in the sanding process and help see any scratches.

Then once dry re-sand with 240g and 320g
  • Thanks all. I've ordered some more 240 and 320 grit. 
  • So yesterday I started sanding with 240 grit. Going along with the grain, I've found it leaving some rather visible sanding scratches. I'd have thought that at 240 the sanding scratches would be difficult to see unless I were to sand across the grain?
    not all abrasive is created equal, what are you using?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @WezV , I'm using Mikra gold flex soft backed paper which was recommended by Graham (gsp) over in another thread.
    Hmm, should be pretty good.  I wouldn't expect the scratches to be overly visible at that grit.  try the damp and re-sand trick and if its still not where you want go up to the next grit
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I am very surprised you’re finding that the 220 is scratching, I’ve been using Mikra gold flex soft backed paper for years and one thing about it, it doesn’t scratch, even the 120 doesn’t scratch.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    My sanding experience is mainly wood turning where I go to 400, and sometimes 600. Since you’re staining I’d definitely go beyond 320 because stain can highlight sanding marks, particularly  in the end grain of the horns and rear edge of the body.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    May seem obvious but, let the paper do the work, it's not like sanding paint off a piece of wood. Too much pressure will be counter-productive. 
  • So I seem to be getting the nack of it a bit more now! My next (probably stupid) newbie question is: how do I know when to move up from 240 to 320 grit?

Thanks!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    When all the scratches are out.