Help Me Find A Bass - Wishlist

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    fancy trying something different. 
    Go fretless.
    Thought about it... dismissed it :-D
    Don’t - I resisted for years, tried it reluctantly, and now play 90% fret less.

It just encourages more creativity, more practise, more skill, more fine finger control, everything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956

Don’t - I resisted for years, tried it reluctantly, and now play 90% fret less.

It just encourages more creativity, more practise, more skill, more fine finger control, everything. 
    I have to agree. I still enjoy playing fretted, and probably still do more, but fretless has been an absolute revelation - and far easier than I expected to adapt to.

There’s also much more justification for owning another bass - although there is a lot of crossover, there are definitely some things which you can’t do on one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23933
    Mezzo demo. Great low B even with the medium scale.

• MagnumMagnum Frets: 0
    Have you bought anything?
  • Magnum said:
    No. I still want a short scale but don't know if I can actually justify another bass to myself. 
    Magnum said:
    No. I still want a short scale but don't know if I can actually justify another bass to myself. 
    You’re not trying hard enough :D
  • Magnum said:
    Dunno, I can be very trying when I want to be ;-)
    Magnum said:
    Dunno, I can be very trying when I want to be ;-)
    Lockdown 3 is the ideal time to frivolously buy basses
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Maruszczyk look cool but like you say well over budget. There's also an element of heart over head again - they just don't "do it" for me... 
    You’re going to struggle to get an authentic vintage look in short scale for your budget tbh..

Not impossible. This old Hofner has a had refin and new wiring/pots but these are great players once properly set up.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35684033-hofner-185-artist-1960-1970-red

It's been for sale for a while so an offer might be accepted.
    JezWynd said:
    Maruszczyk look cool but like you say well over budget. There's also an element of heart over head again - they just don't "do it" for me... 
    You’re going to struggle to get an authentic vintage look in short scale for your budget tbh..

Not impossible. This old Hofner has a had refin and new wiring/pots but these are great players once properly set up.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35684033-hofner-185-artist-1960-1970-red

It's been for sale for a while so an offer might be accepted.
    I think the problem is the OP want P bass sounds - those hofners are indeed good but they are a neck and bridge configuration 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Fender Japan made some 32" P basses in the 80s, under both the Fender and Squier names.  I have a Squier one:

80's Squiers aren't cheap, but they aren't so expensive that they would blow your budget.

The body is slightly downsized from a normal 34" P bass.

They are quite rare in this country, but you should be able to find one if you are willing to be patient.  There are more in Japan, at cheaper prices.  Obviously importing one from Japan will lead to shipping charges and customs stuff, but they are cheaper there.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    There has been someone selling a short-scale Spector either on here, BassChat, or Facebook.
    It may be over-budget, though.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Judging by photographs, the pickup cavity in the Squier Affinity Bronco is of the correct dimensions to accommodate an EMG-35 series "soapbar" pickup. Those are available with P, J, Dual Blade and dual mode innards. The Seymour Duncan Basslines Blackouts for Bass humbucker will also fit.

With the cable tunnel cut as it is, there is plenty of room for a volume pot and multi-band active EQ.

If you don't want to cut a larger pickup aperture in the pickguard, an EMG-S or -SA would work. It should also function with any active EQ.

I was going to suggest the Squier Mikey Way Mustang Bass but it is discontinued. Pre-owned prices are getting silly. 

Be seeing you.
  • So... I know how you all like resolution.

In the end after much indecision and going round in circles I decided I really wanted something with a slim neck, relatively light, could do precision sounds but wasn't a one trick pony, and ideally short or at least medium scale. 

I ummed and ahhed about just buying a CV Mustang but reports of patchy QC put me off and I think as a "one bass to do everything" guy it would be slightly limited.  At some point I may pick up a second hand one. Then I strongly considered something like a P special, but they're all 34" scale.

Instead I kept coming back round to the Ibanez mezzo bass, specifically the five string one. The aesthetic grew on me, it ticks all my boxes, and I've not heard a bad word about them. So, job done. Just need to wait for stock to hit these shores now... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I had the 4 String Mezzo for a while.  I didn't like the sound of the active electronics.  You could probably convert it to a passive PJ (and turn the J down) to get it to sound better.