Battery leak in preamp - fixable?

I played my Yamaha acoustic for the first time in a while today and the preamp wasn't working. It's the type that takes 2 AA batteries in a compartment that entirely comes out and turns out a bettery had leaked. I scraped off the residue and put new batteries in but no joy. Couldn't see any leakage on the part inside the guitar. Any idea what could be wrong?
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    It's likely the terminals are corroded. You may have to dismantle the battery holder completely and clean the contacts, or re-solder them where the wires are attached (usually crimped), this is a common failure point.

If that doesn't fix it you may have to replace the holder, if it's separate from the preamp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You thinking the terminals in the removable part or both sets? I gave it a bit of a clean for the removable part but didn't dismantle it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Both, but especially in the removable part where most of the corrosion will have been. If it's a typical 2-battery holder there will be a connection between the two batteries at the far end, it may well be there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I shall see if i can dismantle it a bit and figure it out..presumably should be easy to visually see it or do i need to test continuity?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Have you got a meter that can read volts ? if the batteries go in series (opposite way to each over ) you will have 3V ish coming out the battery box and you can then assume that bit is good  
    www.2020studios.co.uk