Marshall DSL and boosts/drives

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
I've got a Marshall DSL20C and am wondering what boost / drive to put in front of it. I'm looking to add a solo boost to the red channel.

Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm loving my Boo Instruments tubescreamer right now. It's their 808 clone and sounds mega.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited January 2021
    I really like a Klone into a dirty Marshall. It's like a TS but not quite as much compression/mid honk/low cut going on. Soul Food into my Jubilee was thicc.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Agree, my old DSL reacted well to a tube screamer or Klone. 

How hard do you drive the amp normally? 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    There's a ton of gain on the red channel, so I have the gain around 10 o'clock. That works well for gainy rhythm stuff, but I want a bit more sustain on solos.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Depends on what you want really but both TS and klon style pedals work brilliantly into Marshalls. 

To me a tube screamer can make a Marshall roar, a klon in the other hand can make it scream. So what do you want it to do? The correct answer is of course one of each, probably not at the same time but you never know. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    On my dsl I use a maxon od808 for lead saturation with a tc mini spark in the fx loop for volume boost.  Sounds mint. 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited January 2021
    Save some money Boss SD1 green channel- sorted!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    edited January 2021
    I love a T- Rex Moller pushing it, specifically when the amp is “slightly cooking”,
    it has a mix pot that allows to take the drive from low to extreme places without loosing the initial pick attack and squash all the dynamics,
    really great unit imho,
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    SD-1. There’s something about them which just works really well with Marshalls - they cut through and boost volume even when the amp is already quite overdriven.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    My Xotic BB preamp works well with my Marshall
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    Another vote for SD-1, Klon and TS if you want more mid push though.

I like a clean boost in front or a pedal that does not compress much at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    I've got an EP Booster, OCD and Soul Food.

The red channel on the DSL20 has a ton of gain, so I run the gain at about 10 o clock. It's already compressing a lot.

Right now I'm liking the EP booster the best, followed by the OCD. The amp is quite trebly and can get fizzy so the soul food can get a bit much. Sounds nice on the green channel though.

Just wondered whether there was a better alternative, or whether I'm chasing my tail and should just stick with the EP Booster.
  • I think if you’ve got an sd1 and a ts you’ve got it covered. 
    They’re classics for a reason!!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    NelsonP said:

The red channel on the DSL20 has a ton of gain, so I run the gain at about 10 o clock. It's already compressing a lot.

Right now I'm liking the EP booster the best, followed by the OCD. The amp is quite trebly and can get fizzy so the soul food can get a bit much. Sounds nice on the green channel though.

Just wondered whether there was a better alternative, or whether I'm chasing my tail and should just stick with the EP Booster.
    I like the EP boost at low home volumes, but found it got too bassy/loose at higher volumes, once the Poweramp was getting pushed harder . 
    edited January 2021
    sgosden said:
    NelsonP said:

I like the EP boost at low home volumes, but found it got too bassy/loose at higher volumes, once the Poweramp was getting pushed harder . 
    That's interesting.  Obviously at the moment all of my testing has been at home volumes....
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited January 2021
    If it’s anything like the 100HR when the volume is cranked the fizziness kinda disappears. Crank those volumes! Then hit it with the SD-1 Sorted! Try a CAE mc401 in the loop for clean boost.
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    I have and older DSL and it takes drives quite well. Better than my 6505+
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    One of those Demon branded 808 clones from ebay. A fraction of the price of a real one and just as good. I find the SD1 a bit 'hard' or 'papery' sounding and much prefer an 808. Even better is an 808 with a slightly tired battery!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    ICBM said:
    SD-1. There’s something about them which just works really well with Marshalls - they cut through and boost volume even when the amp is already quite overdriven.
    This ...It's weird because having owned and used an SD1, I'm actually not a fan of it with other amps and I didn't like it as a pedal, but for some strange reason that I've never been able to fathom, they sound really good in front of Marshalls.  Go figure. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    That's worth clarifying. When I say use an 808 (or an SD1), I don't mean use the overdrive from the pedal - it's rubbish. I assume this is common knowledge, but just on the small chance that it isn't, do the following: set the drive to zero, level to maximum, tone to taste (start at half) into your already cooking Marshall and enjoy tonal Nirvana!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom