Replacing a 3 way toggle switch in an Epiphone Sheraton

What's Hot
I have done switches on Strats and Teles but not Gibson Style Toggle Switch..
This is the second time a pickup has disappeared..
I have bought a proper Switchcraft Toggle Switch to replace the Epiphone one..
Do I just wire it like for like.. ??
All the wires in the exact same places..??

I am working with limited space too..

I am really tempted to pay someone else to do this one..
If it involves taking the rest of the electrics out..
I have an urge to do a runner..

How difficult a job is this.??

Is there anything I have to look out for..?

Thanks for any help in advance..  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Yes, in the electrical circuit sense, like for like.

Whether the wires go to the same places depends on the physical layout of the stock selector switch.

To do the soldering, the selector switch needs to be unfastened with the correct tool and manoeuvred to the widest part of the F hole. (The pickguard will need to be removed temporarily.) Use something to protect the guitar's finish.

The hole in the guitar top may need enlarging to accommodate the threaded barrel of the American switch.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Depending on how neatly the wiring loom is made you may have to drop the neck pickup controls and the jack into the guitar as well, to get enough slack to pull the switch out far enough to work on it, which becomes much more of a pain...

You may be lucky, Epiphones aren’t as tidily done as Gibsons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Unscrew the old switch tip and tie some string around the shaft before you loosen anything.

Once you've removed the old switch via the f-hole, the string can be transferred to the new switch which will help you get it back in place.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    If you've bought the full height Switchcraft switch, you'll also need a "deep round nut" as the threads of the switch are only about as long as the top of the guitar is thick.

An Epiphone switch usually has all four thin solder tags on one side and the thicker earth tag at the opposite end. A Switchcraft switch will have the output tags (that are soldered together and go to the jack) on one side and the tags for the wires from the volume controls on the other side, along with the earth tag.

When the switch is installed, the upper tag is for the neck pickup.

• KevSKevS Frets: 477
    I am thinking of copping out and handing this one to a Pro this time..I was working on a Strat today,my alities are definitely improving fast..I look on a Semi Hollow as quite advanced still I think..Also widening the hole possible etc....I didn't buy the full depth switch..I bought that by mistake before..My Sheraton is too shallow for it..  :)