Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What budget multiFX unit?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    ewal said:
    Think I've ruled out Zoom g3n because no audio interface.

Disappointed to here Mooer disappointment - the GE150 seems like a good fit.

Will check out other suggestions.

Hmmm...

The older G3x works as an interface as does the G3n's bigger brother the G5n, so leaving this off the G3n seems a bit odd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Stretch to £300 for the HX Stomp
    Assume £300 is going rate for a second hand Stomp?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited January 2021
    These are excellent.
    £185 on Thomann.

Zoom G5n

Zoom G5n

Effects Processor for Guitar

Integrated drum machine with 68 rhythm patterns100 Custom-designed factory presets200 Memory locations4 LCD displaysIntegrated amp emulatorsUSB audio interface68 Built-in DSP effectsUp to 9 effects can be used simultaneously100 Pedal effects80 Seconds looperIncl. power supply and download code for Steinberg Cubase LE9 (Mac OS X 10.11/10.12/10.13, Windows 7/8.1/10)Dimensions (D x W x H): 225 x 454 x 75 mm

Further Information

DesignFloorboardAmp ModelingYesDrumcomputerYesIncl. TunerYesExpression PedalYesUSB-PortYesHeadphone OutputYesMIDI InterfaceNoLine OutYesBattery PoweredNoPSU includedYes

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Pm’d
  • I’ve had a Boss GT 1 ,great sounds  but only 3 switches , boss GT100 seems a winner , as simple or complex as you likecat a good price 2nd hand ,I think Nota Strauss used to use one before she went to the gt1000
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited January 2021
    Mudcrutch said:
    These are excellent.
    £185 on Thomann.

Zoom G5n

Zoom G5n

Effects Processor for Guitar

Integrated drum machine with 68 rhythm patterns100 Custom-designed factory presets200 Memory locations4 LCD displaysIntegrated amp emulatorsUSB audio interface68 Built-in DSP effectsUp to 9 effects can be used simultaneously100 Pedal effects80 Seconds looperIncl. power supply and download code for Steinberg Cubase LE9 (Mac OS X 10.11/10.12/10.13, Windows 7/8.1/10)Dimensions (D x W x H): 225 x 454 x 75 mm

Further Information

DesignFloorboardAmp ModelingYesDrumcomputerYesIncl. TunerYesExpression PedalYesUSB-PortYesHeadphone OutputYesMIDI InterfaceNoLine OutYesBattery PoweredNoPSU includedYes

I had one but hated it and sold it. Lots of reasons.  First, the amp modelling was problematic. It was lifeless and sounded nasal, with too many models sounding the same, and the only way I could get a good tone from it was to put AIR reverb and the Exciter effects at the end of the signal chain. The amp models did not sound authentic.

But although it was supposed to give up to 9 slots, here was the other big problem. The amp model took up two slots, a cab model 1 slot. Some fx like an eq took up 2 blocks. A noise gate was another block. The wah wasn't global...another slot. Or if you wanted the volume pedal, or an expression pedal, that was another slot. So that was 7 slots before you looked at delay, reverb, modulation.  And depending on the fx selected you could run out of processing power after 8 blocks.

There were also long menus that made it awkward to find the effect you wanted although these were at least split into categories. Adding an effect and changing the signal chain order was awkward, although the top LCD display helped (only available on the G5n). The G3n only gave 6 slots, so was very limiting.  And there were a load of other issues....If you do a search I posted on this a year or two back. 

Anyway, I sold it and even made a modest profit on it so that was OK. I now have a Line 6 Pod Go that's stonkingly good and hopefully with the forthcoming firmware upgrade, will be even better. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I’ve only heard good things about the Line 6 Pod Go. I haven’t tried one, but people seem to love them. If I wasn’t going with a Stomp, I think that would be my next choice. 
  • I can confirm that the Pod Go is a very good little unit. Mine arrived yesterday and I got an hour of use after the small things went to bed. Excellent sound, excellent interface. Yes there are elements I miss from LT and Native but this is a different way of working. 

Posted a WTB Stomp thread this morning and was sorted by 2pm.

Even better - managed to sell a couple of pedals to compensate. Sometimes this place is great!
    edited January 2021
    ewal said:
    Posted a WTB Stomp thread this morning and was sorted by 2pm.

Even better - managed to sell a couple of pedals to compensate. Sometimes this place is great!
    Cool...enjoy. ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Home use only? S/H Boss GT-001 - love mine for practise/home recording
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I've had a few MFX units over the years including the original Digitech RP1 and there's a pretty good choice sub £200. The ME-50 and 70 are good budget choices and they're not menu driven so easier set up and they sound pretty good  effects wise especially when you can pick them up for less than £100. The original Line 6 HD500 has pretty much everything you could ever want flexibility wise but I found it to be quite sterile/ bitty sounding. Good for £150 used though and the X is supposed to be even better. I preferred the Boss GT100 though. Different architecture, not quite as easy to dial in and the COSM sound is not to everyone's taste but through an amp it just sounded warmer and more natural. You can pick them up for around £180. I went back to a pedalboard for a while and got fed up with all the cables etc. and I've now gone back to an MFX in the shape of a POD GO and I'm sticking with it. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Logie said:
    ...and I've now gone back to an MFX in the shape of a POD GO and I'm sticking with it. 
    I've been out of the loop, hadn't heard of the POD GO.  This looks really good. 
    I ended up with an HX Stomp. Just mulling over how best to use it - whether to use it as AI when recording, or plug in to my current Tascam interface.
    Grunfeld said:
    Logie said:
    ...and I've now gone back to an MFX in the shape of a POD GO and I'm sticking with it. 
    I've been out of the loop, hadn't heard of the POD GO.  This looks really good. 
    It is!   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ewal said:
    Stretch to £300 for the HX Stomp
    Assume £300 is going rate for a second hand Stomp?
    Yes very.  For my use-case anyway.   You can add a separate 2 button switch, but would have really preferred it if they’d done the stomp in HXFX format 
    Just been listening (and enjoying) the new Mogwai single - Ritchie Sacramento. Reckon I could get close to that ice picky delay sound in the intro using the HX Glitch Delay effect ;-) Fun times!
  • ewal said:
    Just been listening (and enjoying) the new Mogwai single - Ritchie Sacramento. Reckon I could get close to that ice picky delay sound in the intro using the HX Glitch Delay effect ;-) Fun times!
    How are you getting on with the Stomp? I've got a new laptop and have downloaded Reaper. I'm thinking a Stomp could do a great job as an interface into Reaper, with no need to faff with plugins etc, and also a good way to record my pedals direct. I'm very tempted, might sell the CB Mood for funds as I'm not using it much.
    Yeah - it's fine and serves current purpose which is portability and jack of all trades box to supplement and occasionally substitute for my pedals. I haven't used for recording yet in to Reaper - sure it'll do the job, although I don't think the results will be seismically better than what I got/get with my Joyo American Sound into my old Tascam U122 AI.

I definitely will be holding on to Joyo - partly because it's worth peanuts, but also because I've used it to record heaps of stuff - set and forget simplicity has a lot going for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom