New Rick Beato Gibson Signature

What's Hot
abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
edited January 2021 in Guitar
Looks like Rick is getting his own signature Gibson, most likely a DC Special:

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/rick-beato-gibson-signature/

An interesting candidate, but you can't argue with with his playing and technical theory!

For those new to his videos, check out the 'What Makes This Song Great' series on YouTube, gives excellent insight and break downs of songs from various genres.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I quite like his videos, but if you'd asked me two list 100 people likely to have a signature instrument, he wouldn't have been on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    I quite like his videos, but if you'd asked me two list 100 people likely to have a signature instrument, he wouldn't have been on it.
    A sig instrument is a marketing tool, so anyone with a big enough following is up for grabs. No one had really heard of Greg K until YouTube helped him. 

I hope it's actually a signature guitar with real differences from a standard model, and not just a colour or slightly different pickup. 

I really like his channel, he appreciates a huge variety of music which I love (people think it odd when my playlist jumps from death metal to 90s pop) and he's certainly knowledgeable. I've never really seen him play as I'm more interested in his talking head work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    Marty Schwartz will be getting one next :lol:
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    I've never heard of him but I can't fault his taste in guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    Marty Schwartz will be getting one next :lol:
    Paul David’s must be a Cert as well
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    Good for him. Seems like a nice enough guy, and he certainly knows his stuff. 

I don't really mind signature guitars if they hold up in their own right. Saying that, my interest would depend on the extent to which they are personalised for that artist, i.e. custom artwork or things like that. I have two signature guitars, one of which is made for some guy I'd never heard of and don't care for having since checked him out. Still a great guitar so I couldn't care less.
  • Hope that thing has fretboard binding.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I love Rick, he's a wonderful guy and his videos are informative, entertaining and interesting. He is a big player on YouTube, and this is the new world - You don't have to play in a million selling band any more, you just have to be a big internet hit. Good luck to him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I have no issue with him getting one.  Massive audience, and very very talented.  We'll see more and more influencers/youtubers getting them, because it is a massive new market.  Gibson etc would be stupid not to

I'm sure there are many more questionable sigs out there
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    axisus said:
    I love Rick, he's a wonderful guy and his videos are informative, entertaining and interesting. He is a big player on YouTube, and this is the new world - You don't have to play in a million selling band any more, you just have to be a big internet hit. Good luck to him!
    Pretty much this. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    If Kiefer Sutherland can get one then why not Rick?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Who? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sure, sig guitars are marketing tools.

I don't understand who they are marketing towards by this.

Bye!

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1123
    Sure, sig guitars are marketing tools.

General brand awareness maybe?
  • S56035 said:

If that were the goal, they'd do better shipping one out to PewDiePie and having him set it on fire!!

Bye!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    The man has 2m youtube subscribers, and probably double that in individual viewers. That's a chunky market.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1123
    S56035 said:

If that were the goal, they'd do better shipping one out to PewDiePie and having him set it on fire!!
    It's possible they might want serial purchasers rather than serial arsonists.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    prowla said:
    Marty Schwartz will be getting one next lol
    That guy is stealing a living.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The man has 2m youtube subscribers, and probably double that in individual viewers. That's a chunky market.
    Exactly,

Also his videos 'What Makes This Song Great' is basically music theory classes for the 21st Century.

In terms of internet/YT guitar personalities Rick Beato IMO he's at the top of the tree; his videos are genuinely informative, the one about Matt Cameron's groove and quantizing is one of the better things I've seen on YT about music.
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    I like watching Rick, really nice guy. Adam Neely is also good (think he's done a couple of vids with Rick too).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom