PSA Vikings is back!

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
On Prime. It’s the final series according to the tag line. We watched the first episode last night, this series is a bit of a shocker already.  

If you haven’t watched it, then give it a whirl, it’s a fantastic series. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I stopped watching last series (I think...?). Got fed up of the overly hammy ridiculous acting from Ivar and Bjorn.

I've already seen one big spoiler, so can't say I'm super-keen to dive back in... but it was indeed a superb series (up until around series 4!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Like Farley I faltered a series or 2 ago 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1123
    edited January 2021
    Should have stopped Ragnar was gone.  

Edit: and by that I mean both the production of the series and my own continued watching of it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Good ending, not really a spoiler - the end of legends, decline of rampaging war-like Vikings, and transition to being more amazing explorers.

(Shame they didn't carry on and follow Rollo's descendants - William The Bastard/Conqueror's invasion of, and completing the Viking vision of taking over UK)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2021
    Jalapeno said:
    Good ending, not really a spoiler - the end of legends, decline of rampaging war-like Vikings, and transition to being more amazing explorers.

(Shame they didn't carry on and follow Rollo's descendants - William The Bastard/Conqueror's invasion of, and completing the Viking vision of taking over UK)
    Apparently that's in store for Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix later in the year.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Jalapeno said:

Apparently that's in store for Vikings: Valhalla on Netflix later in the year.
    Looks like I’ll have to sign up to Netflix then. 

Ok, ok, it was a better series with Ragnar (and Lagatha) in it, I’ll give you that but I’m still enjoying it. I actually think Ivar is a decent character, even though the actor who plays him definitely overdoes the crazyness. 

I do like the way they’ve mostly stuck to the historically correct details. The Vikings were an incredible lot when you think about their achievements and where they ventured in a world before proper maps. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Been binge watching this the past few weeks, up to seasons 5, and watching it all so close together I have to say what a fantastic job they done with Ragnar in every way. I mean by the end were you not sick of him too? Not in an unkind way but you actually felt he was exhausted by the world and just had enough.

The way they aged him, even down to the tattoo on his head not only getting added to with time but how it had actually faded and aged.

Really well done, and a good companion to assassin's creed Valhalla :D
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Just watched the first of the last 10 episodes. I’m just going to say, I’m disappointed. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited January 2021
    How come, Steve? 

I'm comparing it favourably to GoT, which admittedly, sets a very low bar.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I loved it but quit when Ragnar was killed off. I know thats how the history went but meh, felt a little empty without him and his English companion. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    How come, Steve? 

I’ll try to not give spoilers away. But, I thought the way things ended in the first episode were a bit quick and an anti-climax. I quite liked how the show kinda followed real history at first but it now seems to go off on a tangent 
    Stevepage said:
    How come, Steve? 

I’ll try to not give spoilers away. But, I thought the way things ended in the first episode were a bit quick and an anti-climax. I quite liked how the show kinda followed real history at first but it now seems to go off on a tangent 

I suppose that's the big advantage with Viking history, there are usually several different views of the history we have, I suppose they have picked the versions that give the best story and made up their own bits where needed.

Very interesting how many interpretations there are for "boneless" when it comes to Ivar in history.
    underdog said:
    Stevepage said:
    How come, Steve? 

I suppose that's the big advantage with Viking history, there are usually several different views of the history we have, I suppose they have picked the versions that give the best story and made up their own bits where needed.

Very interesting how many interpretations there are for "boneless" when it comes to Ivar in history.
    True, even the whole history of Ragnar may or may not actually exist. But I'm still a bit let down with the first episode. I'm on the 3rd or 4th episode now and I'm still curious to how everything ends so I'll keep watching.
    Stevepage said:
    underdog said:
    Stevepage said:
    How come, Steve? 

True, even the whole history of Ragnar may or may not actually exist. But I'm still a bit let down with the first episode. I'm on the 3rd or 4th episode now and I'm still curious to how everything ends so I'll keep watching.

I'm still on season 5, but accidentally seen the first half of seasons 6 back last year some how , my wife's fault. 
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    It is turning into some kind of a melodrama in a way. Still like it though......
    warhead said:
    It is turning into some kind of a melodrama in a way. Still like it though......

I think once Ragnar has left it was going to be tough, he was a great character and the actor done a good job of mixing menace, brilliance and craziness. With such a strong charact gone, it's hard to fill that void. The guy who plays Bjorn doesn't have that no matter how hard they try.
    Uber is filling Ragnar’s boots pretty well in the latest series though. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    edited January 2021
    Why is leather Viking shield maiden armor not a popular fashion. 
    Why is leather Viking hand maiden armor not a popular fashion. 
    It is, I wear it all the time. 

Errr, no wait. 
    Why is leather Viking hand maiden armor not a popular fashion. 
    more importantly, why isn't Katheryn Winnick my wife?