New amp concept ... maybe

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mixolyd said:
    Didn’t Egnater do a EL84+6V6 amp like that a few years ago too?  I think it may have just been switched rather than blended though.
    I’ve got an Egnater Rebel 30 that has EL84 & 6V6, you go from one to the other with a balance control - a lot less difference between than I expected, and I recall Bruce Egnater saying that the circuitry around them has as much effect on the sound as the valves themselves.

Still a nice amp though, shame I don’t get to play through it much these days ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I can vouch for @4114Effects little creations, the overtones on his 5f1 are something else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Speaking of 1 off creations, is there another amp out there like the one you made me?

Single 6L6 with like a Champ circuit?
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Palmer made an amp called the "Drei" (German for "Three") which had 3 power valves with a separate volume control for each - I think it was EL84, 6V6 and 6L6.
    Seems to be discontinued now.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    Palmer made an amp called the "Drei" (German for "Three") which had 3 power valves with a separate volume control for each - I think it was EL84, 6V6 and 6L6.
    Seems to be discontinued now.
    Ugly as sin too. Looked like a cold war military radio. :-)
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 248
    I’d like to give it a whirl too. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    Love that! Looks great too
  • this sounds amazing! I'm absolutely not an amp expert - does the gain control work like the normal volume control on a champ, with the two valve knobs control the contribution of each valve? do you still get some crunch with the valve knobs set low and the gain dimed?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    everest said:
    this sounds amazing! I'm absolutely not an amp expert - does the gain control work like the normal volume control on a champ, with the two valve knobs control the contribution of each valve? do you still get some crunch with the valve knobs set low and the gain dimed?
    A good part of the champ gain is from the power valves, so you do get less gain with the masters down and the pre up. You still get some crunch though yeah. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    I have a vague tickling in my memory about an amp (might have been a Victoria?) with mismatched valve types in a push-pull configuration. Anybody else or is this a product of my warped imagination...?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    jpfamps said:

In reality most great sounding guitar amps are based on old Fenders and Marshalls, which in turn were badly copied from radio handbooks and built using whatever random parts they could get hold of. 
    That's true to a certain extent of Marshalls but certainly not of Fenders.
    Ah, my mistake, I always thought the Early Champ designs were based on the RCA tube handbooks? 
    The very first Bassman circuit was taken verbatim from the RCA Receiving Tube Manual.

This sort of thing is not unusual as component manufacturers have always provided example circuits for use with their products, and I'm sure you'll appreciate if you look at the data sheet for any op-amp or voltage regulator.

However Fender quickly updated their designs bringing out new models every year, so the classic 5F-6 circuit is really very different, and contains features unique to Fender, eg the tone circuit, that have now become "standard" on virtually every other guitar amp.

That tone stack, as far as I can tell, was developed by Fender. I can't any similar circuit in the 50 or 60 odd pages of tone circuits in the RDH4.

Not sure about the Champ circuit, but the very first Champ was so simple, around 25 components or so, that it would be very difficult to build a working amp using any other circuit.

Fender construction from the mid 50's was very very consistent, which was due to Forrest White who joined Fender in 1954.

Marshall on the other hand, as I am sure you know, in the beginning used to buy all their parts from the RS shop on Tottenham Court Road, and construction was pretty hit and miss.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited January 2021
    Very nice. But I don't like my tone coloured, let alone multi coloured. Needs a tone control...to tone down that Tolex!! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Looks lovely. I'm still rocking your ac15 build with ef86 :) but this looks like a beaut of a practice amp.