BOSS Waza Air - opinions

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
edited January 2021 in Amps
Hi all,

Looking or a simple way to practice, without having to lug the Axe FX 3 around the house. I've had my eye / ear on these for a while, and they seem to be great - but has anyone got a set? I'd be very keen on your thoughts!

My main goals are decent tones and for it to have a decent 'feel' to it as well.

Thanks!

EDIT - Just saw I have £42 worth of loyalty points at Andertons, so have taken the plunge. Will update the thread with my thoughts once it arrives...!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i got a pair. They are ok. The moving speaker gets old within a few days. Thought id use them a lot more than i do though
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    If you want something cheap and wireless / light then the Nux Mighty Air or Mighty Plug are good an inexpensive.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I recently looked at them as I wanted headphones to jam along to tunes with (easier than hooking up my stereo over other side of the room (its not great)). 

In the end I went with a pair of Audio Technica Ath-m50x closed back headphones that I’ll plug directly into the katana 100. 

Meh lol. 

Headphones are good. Katana’s headphone out not so much. But its ok for what it is. 

I guess the waza airs though are a purpose built amp for the headphones so should sound a lot better! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    I have a pair and find them really useful, convenient and find they have a decent sound. 

Do they replaced a cranked Marshall? No

Do they let you get a good sound for practicing when the neighbours and kids are asleep in any room of the house? Absolutely!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Vox amplug2 lead is what you're after.  Love mine. 
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    hairmetal said:
    I have a pair and find them really useful, convenient and find they have a decent sound. 

Do they replaced a cranked Marshall? No

Do they let you get a good sound for practicing when the neighbours and kids are asleep in any room of the house? Absolutely!
    Completely agree! They're not preferable to a loud amp but they definitely are preferable to playing unplugged which is the alternative for me with 2 toddlers and a wife who operates a 'you wake them you take them' policy.

That's not to say they sound bad though (the headphones not the kids, they don't know how to carry a tune yet), there's some good sounds in there without needing to tweak too much and it's great being able to play backing tracks/lessons/metronome etc from your phone by Bluetooth at the same time. I'm playing more and enjoying it more since I bought them so I'd endorse them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I like the format of them but can't get past the price. Recently I've been using a little amp works thing from Vox which sounds pretty cool but it does mean guitar cable and headphone cable to plug in. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • +1 for the Nux Mighty Plug. Wired headphones required but a great alternative that is outstanding value. Uses an official app and also a third party app which radically improves it. Was £52 on Amazon last week
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I’m using Boss PocketGT for sofa playing late at night. It’s fine for what it is. 
    tFB Trader
    shsam75 said:
    +1 for the Nux Mighty Plug. Wired headphones required but a great alternative that is outstanding value. Uses an official app and also a third party app which radically improves it. Was £52 on Amazon last week

What is the third party app?
    shsam75 said:
    +1 for the Nux Mighty Plug. Wired headphones required but a great alternative that is outstanding value. Uses an official app and also a third party app which radically improves it. Was £52 on Amazon last week
    Does the Nux have a decent reverb and basic delay or is it just amps and drums etc ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    shsam75 said:
    Does the Nux have a decent reverb and basic delay or is it just amps and drums etc ?
    Room, hall, plate, spring & shimmer reverb.
    Analog, tape, digital & ping pong delay. Search 'tuntori nux'  -they created the 3rd party app. Let's you use any IR or amp in any preset slot
    shsam75 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    shsam75 said:
    Analog, tape, digital & ping pong delay. Search 'tuntori nux'  -they created the 3rd party app. Let's you use any IR or amp in any preset slot
    Thanks, that seems a bargain for £55 I might get one I think. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    shsam75 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    shsam75 said:
    Thanks, that seems a bargain for £55 I might get one I think. 

The trick is that many of the sounds on it are terrible but some are great so don't just try one sound and write it off.
  • Love my Boss WAZA Air. Best headphone practice tones I’ve ever had and feels great under the fingers too 

Forget the gyro gimmick and use them in a different mode and they are fantastic 
  • shsam75shsam75 Frets: 1
    edited January 2021
    I can't comment on the waza air. Originally they are what I wanted as obviously they look a great piece of kit. The only thing that swayed me was the App reviews in the Play store. Connection drop outs and lack of app support from Boss put me off. If they can sort that, I'm in because wireless is a huge plus
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    So just arrived, and I’ve been playing around in it for over an hour... very impressed!

simple setup, editing could be a bit better, and the amps could be better... but it’s pretty damn awesome. Managed to get backing tracks from my Dropbox on the phone and play along to them. Very cool!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shsam75 said:

What is the third party app?

Sorry only just seen. Post 395  https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nux-mighty-plug-headphone-interface.2119324/page-20

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Cool! I love mine. One of the best tools for guitar I've bought!!! :)
  • Vox amplug2 lead is what you're after.  Love mine. 
    I also have one of these. I can say with 100% confidence that it sounds absolute trash compared to the waza air.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom