Ageing chrome bridge plate

What's Hot
I’ve got a brand new chrome tele bridge plate on the way that I’d like to age mildly. 

Reading a few threads on here and elsewhere, nickel seems to be easy, but not much on how to do chrome parts. I was thinking of using etching acid/hydrochloric/muriatic acid - are they one of the same thing or different? Will it work on chrome? Using the method of placing the part in a container, exposing it to the fumes only, how long do I leave it for?

I don’t want anything drastic, just want to knock the shine back a bit like the one in the first pic below.

https://www.axetremecreations.com/product/serial-number-telecaster-bridge-relic-fender-pat-pending-plate/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Yes. Diluted acid will remove chrome plating to expose the nickel beneath. 

IMO, the "ageing" illustrated in the Axetreme Creations photographs is clearly fake. The real thing tends to look noticeably corroded in the corners.

To get a believable effect would take one phase of all over mild stripping to reveal the nickel, followed by more pronounced localised tarnishing in the corners. (Tilt the bridge plate. Increase the acid concentration. Apply very locally.

If possible, study plenty of photographs of old Telecasters or Esquires to see where the corrosion does and does not appear. For instance, the Nacho Baños book The Blackguard.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    @Funkfingers thanks for the input. Believe me, I’ve looked at plenty, also have the Blackguard book! 

As you probably know, original 50’s hardware is still pretty shiny due to the nature of chrome. Don’t think fender make a nickel bridge, certainly not at £12 anyway. Wish they did as this would be an easier task. I really just need to know the general exposure time chrome needs with the acid fumes. It obviously takes longer than nickel, but is that 5, 10, 24 hours? Just don’t want to over do the time and ruin it.
    @Funkfingers BTW when you say the acid will strip the chrome off, are actually submerging the metal in the acid, or using the fumes?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Submergance. 
    Be seeing you.
    Thanks
  • Just buy a Gotoh nickel bridge. Much easier and it will look better imo. Sometimes chrome can go green..