Has anyone bought from Thomann in 2021?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5012
Hi. Just wondering if anyone in the UK has bought from Thomann in 2021 and if so was there any duty or VAT charged on entry to the UK? Thanks.
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There's already a Thread in the Amps Section on this subject.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5012
    There's already a Thread in the Amps Section on this subject.
    Thanks. That seems to have opinions only and I was hoping for some real world experience from actual buyers from Thomann in 2021. Plus that thread’s a bit hidden away in the amps section innit?! :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited January 2021
    I had a Thomann order arrive yesterday and paid UPS over the phone after a driver put a invoice in my letterbox.
    Import VAT £23.99
    Brokerage Charges £11.50
    Total £35.50
    After I paid he came back a few hours later and delivered my goods.

I go into more detail on this thread just down the page in this room.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/197498/importing-from-eu-post-brexit#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    Pro tip: if you sign up for UPS MyChoice online you will get notified of the charges ahead of time and can pay them online in advance. Do it early though as they have to send you a letter to verify your address so takes a few days to get sorted. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2021

I ordered this Flying V Padded Bag on Saturday 2nd January and it was delivered yesterday morning, Friday 8th January,  at my home address in West London.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_fv.htm

Very good delivery time after the end of the Transition Period.

I normally receive my items from Thomann within four working days, but this order was placed during a holiday weekend.

NOTE: I wanted to support local music shops, but they didn’t have the exact item at the time.

Here is the invoice showing the breakdown of the charges. There was no additional delivery charge (I think it depends on the value of the item purchased):-

https://i.imgur.com/B9BQJ8q.jpg

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6788
    edited January 2021
    rocktron said:

I ordered this Flying V Padded Bag on Saturday 2nd January and it was delivered yesterday morning, Friday 8th January,  at my home address in West London.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_fv.htm

Very good delivery time after the end of the Transition Period.

I normally receive my items from Thomann within four working days, but this order was placed during a holiday weekend.

NOTE: I wanted to support local music shops, but they didn’t have the exact item at the time.

Here is the invoice showing the breakdown of the charges. There was no additional delivery charge (I think it depends on the value of the item purchased):-

https://i.imgur.com/B9BQJ8q.jpg

So in this case Thomann charged the 20% UK vat and there were no additional payment handling fees from the courier? Wonder if that’s because it’s below the £135 limit.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @mrkb: I think that may very well be the case. 
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Whitecat said:
    Pro tip: if you sign up for UPS MyChoice online you will get notified of the charges ahead of time and can pay them online in advance. Do it early though as they have to send you a letter to verify your address so takes a few days to get sorted. 
    Thanks.
    Yes the women who rang me back explained that and that there systems are quite antiquated.
  • As with the others above, I placed an order on 30/12 for a pedalboard and cables etc, came to £200 and then after Jan 1st the invoice was adjusted to £167 followed a few days later by the UPS invoice for £47 so it has ended up costing me a bit more than it would if I'd have sourced everything over here. The delivery is also taking far longer than it used to now, my last few Thomann purchases arrived within days but I guess the holidays and transition period are the reason for that, hopefully things may speed up again eventually. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Not sure if there are delays leaving the EU, probably via Calais and The Tunnel - But there are still delays from Dover to Calais via a regular road service to the EU - UPS and DPD at our end are not offering any road service option for now, until it settles down - As of today, via Interparcel, I can only ship to Germany by an Express air service and obviously far more expensive
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    UPS are still offering a road service if booked direct/via the small business website but I wouldn't risk it - when France closed the border UPS were still selling the road service for at least 24hrs before they removed it from the site and drivers were refusing to take the parcels.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    UPS are still offering a road service if booked direct/via the small business website but I wouldn't risk it - when France closed the border UPS were still selling the road service for at least 24hrs before they removed it from the site and drivers were refusing to take the parcels.
    I have used Interparcel for so long - I have noticed UPS prices have risen via Interparcel for a while now - Whilst I can get cheaper prices for a guitar delivery, via other couriers, I'm next to a UPS collection point, so useful for delivery/collections if I'm not in the shop - However, I did not know about the UPS small business website until now - Just checked it out and obviously a better/cheaper option - Thanks a lot for this - Just shows what a good source of info FB is
  • Was thinking of buying a guitar from Thomann. But thinking of holding back for now. Especially as it looks like moving things across the border with the EU are about to get worse. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Mudcrutch said:
    Whitecat said:
    Thanks.
    Yes the women who rang me back explained that and that there systems are quite antiquated.
    do you still have to pay the fee if you pay in advance, I thought I remember something like that from years ago buying from the USA
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    What happens if you need to return the items for repair or a refund?
  • I’ve just recently ordered a guitar and a gig big from them, hopefully the fact they’re waiting for stock means the border issues should be resolved by then.
    If it’s over £135 you’ll have to fill out a form and submit
    it to HMRC if you want your VAT refunded. 

If it’s going for service you declare it as such on the customs paperwork and when you receive it back you will not have to pay VAT but you may have to provide proof of purchase and proof of export before they will deliver it to you. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Whitecat said:

If it’s going for service you declare it as such on the customs paperwork and when you receive it back you will not have to pay VAT but you may have to provide proof of purchase and proof of export before they will deliver it to you. 
    Hypothetically, could a mate then send a guitar from anywhere stating on the export/customs paperwork that it's for repair/ageing/repainting and then you just keep the guitar?
    thebreeze said:
    Whitecat said:

Hypothetically, could a mate then send a guitar from anywhere stating on the export/customs paperwork that it's for repair/ageing/repainting and then you just keep the guitar?
    Genuinely not sure. You may have to prove that that’s the sort of thing you do I suppose. Customs can basically ask you anything...
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Whitecat said:
    thebreeze said:
    Whitecat said:

Genuinely not sure. You may have to prove that that’s the sort of thing you do I suppose. Customs can basically ask you anything...
    Yes, that makes sense