I need a food processor

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10690
A proper one not a little one. Please tell me what to get!
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends on budget. We have a kenwood and it's great. My parents have a kitchenaid and it's also great. Both are a few years old and our kenwood is used a few times a week as ladyprettydamned is a keen cook.

I've no experience of others bar a cheap one from amazon - a waste of money at half the price. 

We also have a kenwood chef which is legendary with bakers - so kenwood seem to do something right. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Ok! Thanks. Do you have a model number?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Looks like an older version of the multipro. Fdm781... Whatever that means. 

We also have the multipro compact which we use loads too, and it's... Basically identical but a bit littler. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    With what ive eaten over Christmas, I feel like im a food processor....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited January 2021
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I bought a KitchenAid a few months ago, nice bit of kit. I based my decision on the fact that my ister has had a KitchenAid mixer for years - it’s heavily used and still working perfectly. Also they don’t redesign their products every couple of years so spares should be easily available if needed. My only criticism is the buttons to control speed are covered in a plastic membrane (presumably to protect them from messy fingers), which leads to a slightly inferior tactile experience.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited January 2021
    Sorry, I can't help you with a food processor.

Now, a toaster on the other hand.......................

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We got a Kitchen Aid 1.7L a while back.

https://www.hartsofstur.com/kitchenaid-empire-red-food-processor-5kfp0719ber.html

Watch out for the blades which are razor sharp. I managed to cut my fingers twice when handling them.

It's not a competition.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3070
    My Mom bought us a Ninja a few years back. It's uncontrollable - 3 presses and your food is just atoms. More of a chrusher/turbo blender than a food processor. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Used our new Russell Hobbs one for the first time last night, as mentioned above the blades were super sharp. Managed to slice my thumb taking it out the packaging.

This was a fairly budget model as we won't use it all that much. For the price I'm pretty pleased with it however, lots of accessories but not sure how much of them I'll use beyond the plastic mixer and metal chopper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-24732-Processor-Attachments/dp/B07RQLGSN3/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1Z34TAV51DCKX&dchild=1&keywords=food+processor&qid=1610359505&sprefix=food+proce%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-13
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    Another vote for Kitchenaid and Kenwood, however, get the right tool fit the right job. 
    For a food processor, Kenwood is the one to go for. Kenwood is much easier to repair and maintain. They carry parts for years, support tonnes of older models. Kenwood built their reputation on food processors.

I have several Kitchenaid appliances. My waffle/pizzelle maker is maybe four years old and the switch is broken. Have to use pliers to adjust the heat level. Can’t get a replacement part for love nor money. It’s a great unit, but some components are not good enough.  Kitchenaid built their reputation on their food mixer. The food mixer is great quality, easy to get parts for, easy to maintain. But, is suspect the other appliances are cheaper products rebadged. For example, I also have a Kitchenaid kettle, it’s nice and chunky, but any water drips cause rust to build up on the charging base, so after five years it looks ruined. My Kitchenaid toaster is also nothing special, should have got a Dulalit, but wife wanted appliances to match.  

If you’re not in a hurry, Phillips do a decent enough food processor, my daughter has one. 
    They regularly have a sale in their website, worth keeping on eye on it. You’ll get one there half price if you have the luxury of time 

I’ve also heard the John Lewis own brand food processors are made by Phillips, and are very decent, a good mid priced alternative. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Kenwood Multipro here.   works great
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    We've owned a Kenwood Multipro FDM781 for several years and it generally works. It has a glass blender jug and a plastic food processor jug plus base and attachments all of which require a home.  But approximately every 6 months the nylon gear that lets the base spin the cutter shreds itself simply because its material is inadequate. On the plus side spare parts are readily available and fairly cheap.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My wife keeps going on about Thermomix. £1,150 but it cooks as well.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    edited January 2021
    I’ve got a thermionic.  It’s great.  But it’s not a food processor. Yes, it chops stuff, but it cooks
    food too.  It’s a great investment if you’re an avid  cook, it’s another pair of hands in the kitchen. 

It can’t slice and grate like a food processor does. Different tool completely 
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    edited January 2021
    We've had a Magimix 4100 for the best part of 15 years and it's still going strong (the motor is guaranteed for ten* years, IIRC). The plastic is starting get a bit brittle so I'm starting to think about replacing the main bowl thing but they support them forever so that's not a problem. Once that's done, I think it's comfortably going to outlast me.

* The motors on the current ones are guaranteed for 30 years, I see! 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve got a thermionic.  It’s great.  But it’s not a food processor. Yes, it chops stuff, but it cooks
    food too.  It’s a great investment if you’re an avid  cook, it’s another pair of hands in the kitchen. 

It can’t slice and grate like a food processor does. Different tool completely 
    Ah I see. It even has a cute little tablet attached to it now.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • We've had a Kenwood Prospero for longer than I can remember and it's been great. It has a mixer for baking etc plus a blender and food processor attachment. You can also get a meat grinder fitting if you want to make your own mince etc. 
  • KichenAid for me as well.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    I’m sorely tempted by the old kitchen aid - just wondering if anyone’s got a magimix 5200xl (not the premium version)